Home » Decade » 1950 » The Easiest Post Ever – My Vintage Kitchen

February 16, 2009

The Easiest Post Ever – My Vintage Kitchen

So, hubby and I have just purchased a 1956 brick ranch home in Michigan, and afterwards found out that we were some of the luckiest people on the planet. When we first walked into the house, we were shocked at how vintage and fun everything looked. There were marble accent’s everywhere, a lot of original light fixtures and tons and tons of built-ins.  But what floored me the most was the spectacular kitchen!  It was full of the original metal cabinets from when the house was built, and I fell completely in love with it. Within days we had an accepted offer – and a completely new style that we didn’t even know existed!

Mid-Century Modern.

And now, everything we do is influenced by it. And why shouldn’t it be?  Our house is a picture-perfect vintage testament to how quirky and fun the 1950’s were, and how all of those great ideas shouldn’t be changed out or thrown away for something modern, but saved. By starting this blog, I will try to follow what my husband and I consider to be an important part of our lives now: restoring our vintage home.

The first thing was, of course, our fabulous kitchen. The first place we looked for information on where to start our restoration was the internet. A quick google of “Vintage 50’s Paint Colors” let us to www.retrorenovation.com , and all of Pam’s great advice. So much information can be found there! We found our paint palette in a snap (Sherwin Williams Suburban Modern Palette) and had some great leads on how to replace the filthy carpet in the kitchen and dining area. And it was something we had never even thought of: commercial flooring.

We ended up going with Armstrong’s Standard Excelon Imperial Texture  in Blue Cloud and Soft Cool Gray. It looks fantastic, as you can see from the picture.

Our New Kitchen Floor

If you are interested in more pictures of our kitchen, check out my flickr photostream. Also, Pam recently did an entry about our house and kitchen here. Please check it out!

10 Responses to The Easiest Post Ever – My Vintage Kitchen

1. 50s Pam Reply

February 19, 2009 at 1:51 am

It was a joy to work with you on the story about your kitchen, Ruth. It is so gratifying for me to see a whole new generation of buyers find these homes, recognize their value, and choose to preserve them. Your house must be SO HAPPY to have found you!

2. Elvis (aka) Jane Reply

April 7, 2009 at 9:09 am

Ruth, I absolutely love your flooring choice. That mixture of colors is truly perfect in your kitchen. Kudos to you for recognizing and preserving the vintage delights of your home!

April 7, 2009 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Jane! I adore the floor as well. I had my doubts when we were going through the project, but I am 150% happy with the result!

• Connie bee Reply

October 26, 2016 at 10:00 pm

so… cute. I’m searching all over for gray and white check flooring.

Where did it come from? Hopefully the company would still make it.

4. Pingback: Pink Formica Table – Need An Opinion! | No Pattern Required

5. Pingback: Turquoise Geneva Cabinets on Denver Craigslist | No Pattern Required

6. Emma Reply

February 22, 2010 at 10:42 am

What an amazing kitchen! Those cabinets are gorgeous!

7. George Reply

April 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

Hi Ruth
    I stumbled across your web page and though that I would share my story with you. By the way….great kitchen!!
    I too purchase a mid century 1961 executive ranch here in upstate NY in 2005. The house is about 2,400 sq. ft. and had not been tampered with since the day it was built. The owner and her mother built the home and took loving care of it through out there lives. The house was a custom build by a very respected and high end contractor at the time. The kitchen is a blonde maple “Quaker Maid” kitchen with tons of extras and cabinet space. The amazing thing is that the owner had an additional kitchen installed in the basement (metal cabinets)so that she could do all of her cooking there. The Quaker Maid kitchen still had the original packaging material in the stainless steel oven. The owner had no children or pets so the house was in pristine condition. She actually had loose layed carpet over the original hardwood floors and the hardwoods were never walked on. The original tile bathrooms were in excellent shape with all walls tiled to the celling and the ceiling tiled with white tile for easy cleaning. The living room and dining room are sparated by a pennisula white marbel fireplace made of the same style marble as your foyer planter. The fireplace was lined with aluminum foil and never used.
    Hope that you enjoyed me story.
    Thanks and best wishes with you beautiful home.

8. J. Reply

February 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

What a marvelous find! I love that you chose grey tile. Lovely! Now I have to look through your flikr account.