Home » Our Houses » Before And After – Our Kitchen

March 21, 2009

Before And After – Our Kitchen

I was digging through my photos yesterday, looking for some blogging inspiration, when I came across a before photo of our kitchen!  I was really excited, since I didn’t know whether or not we had taken a before photo.  But we had. Here is a photo of us walking around with our parents and our realtor before house closing. Kitchen Before

You can see the carpeting they had glued down over the original 9×9 tiles that were in the kitchen.  I know I have some pictures of the original tile to0, but that will have to wait until another day.  Also, the walls were kind of a “whole wheat bread” color, which didn’t look great with the marble windowsills. Our New Kitchen Floor

Here it is after the new VCT tile and paint.  I am sure many of you have seen it before, but I just wanted to show it next to the before photo!

Oh, and loyal reader Sara said she was having trouble leaving a comment. Hopefully that is resovled now, but if anyone has any other problems, email me!

16 Responses to Before And After – Our Kitchen

1. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

March 21, 2009 at 5:58 pm

OMG, those curved cabinets are the coolest thing I’ve ever seen!!

March 23, 2009 at 9:42 am

Don’t you love them! I almost died when I saw them the first time. Even with the ratty old carpet, I could totally see my kitchen in there….

3. Tikimama Reply

March 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Hey Ruth! I made it over from the old blog, I guess! I have a Google Reader, and this is where it brought me, so I’d say everything is working A-Okay. I love the before-and-after pix of the kitchen. Post more of other rooms if you get a chance.

March 23, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Hi Tikimama!

Happy to see you here. I am glad everything worked for you, that is a huge relief to me.

Oh, I totally plan to post other rooms, and cool little MCM things from my house that I love!

Thanks for the feedback, I love it. 🙂

5. Kellie Reply

June 25, 2009 at 9:30 am

Your kitchen is divine!!!

• RetroRuth Reply

June 25, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Thanks, Kellie! I love it more than I ever thought a woman could love a kitchen….

6. Pingback: Modern Retro Woman » Blog Archive » My Ideal Kitchen

7. Pingback: No Pattern Required | Installation Directions for Geneva Cabinets

8. carole Reply

April 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I love that floor!

And that island is pretty cool. Love the curving of it.

9. Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} Reply

January 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

Love, love, love. The color, floor, curved cabinets… everything is just so cool.

10. Eartha Reply

January 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

One of the most glorious kitchens that I have ever seen, hands down. I’m so glad that you brought in the pink and those floor tiles – perfect. Honestly, I don’t know how you ever leave that kitchen. I’d pretend to do a cooking show every day if I had it.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thanks, Eartha! Yeah, I don’t leave it much. If my desk was in there, I would never leave. In fact, when I do the Mid-Century Menu I DO pretend to do a cooking show. Now all I need is a video camera….

11. Chrissie Reply

August 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Love the kitchen !!! Its given me inspiration lol I grew up in a MCM on Long Island that my parents designed. Yet somehow I managed to find myself owning a house built in 1848 in Upstate NY . My goal is to have the retro kitchen of my dreams . Our upstairs kitchen has Harmony House cabinets with red crackled ice counter tops – I’m trying to convince my husband that we need them in our downstairs kitchen that he’s gutting out .

12. leesa Reply

January 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hi! Love the tiles. can you tell me exactly what colors you have used? We’ve used VCT in our mudroom, my walk in pantry and little girls room…to DIE for. Now, I think we are going to use it in our masterbathroom. Also, did you use four tiles to make larger checker board look? Any more pictures you have would be great! I would be happy to share mine too!