Home » Decade » 1950 » An Amazing Discovery – Vintage Lighting Store

April 7, 2009

An Amazing Discovery – Vintage Lighting Store

Vintage Light FixtureWe stumbled across the most amazing thing this past weekend: Bryden’s Electric & Supply in Bay City, Michigan.  It is a vintage lighting store!  I kid you not. Their entire display floor had vintage lighting in it.  We only saw a couple new lamps, everything else was vintage. It was amazing. So amazing, that I forgot to take pictures.  The one on the left was taken by Hubs.  But I promise, some pictures of Bryden’s vintage lights are coming soon.  I will remember to take more pictures when we go back.

The reason I got so crazy is because they have tons of vintage electrical accessories as well. Shelves and shelves of them, in fact. Glass shades, vintage lightswitch plates, vintage switches themselves, and a lot of them were in the original packaging. Most of it was Victorian and Art Deco, since most of the houses in Bay City (the showplace homes, anyway) are from those eras.  But there were some Mid-Century fixtures and accessories that we happily pawed through.

And then we laid eyes on this beauty.  And I totally lost it.

Yep.  A vintage doorbell!  An starburst one!  In the original package!

They had tons of doorbells, some used and some new, but all of them vintage.  It was amazing to see, and even more exciting when we found the one we have been searching for. Now we can finally get rid of the ceramic hummingburd doorbell installed by the previous owner’s daughter, and put up one that is going to look fantastic with our door!

Is anyone else looking for a vintage doorbell?  They had a lot of these and another very similar starburst shape for $4.95. I would be willing to pick one up for you!

8 Responses to An Amazing Discovery – Vintage Lighting Store

April 7, 2009 at 11:28 am

What a find! It’s like a treasure hunt, yes?

April 7, 2009 at 11:43 am

Ruth, That doorbell is da’ bomb! If you can get another one like that or very, very similar I would definitely be interested in it! Let me know. Now you just need the starburst doorknob thingy! What a fantastic store.

April 7, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Hi sablemable! It is totally like a treasure hunt. I love love LOVE it! 🙂

Will do, Sara. Next time we go, I will pick you up something similar!

April 7, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Actually, pick me up 2. I know when my Mom sees it she will want one too! They are really fantastic. If you can get 2 just like yours, that would be my first choice, since you said they had a lot of them. It is really ironic that you have been looking for these exact doorbells, I was just looking into trying to get one just like this a few weeks ago!

April 7, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Yea! The starburst door thingy! Gotta have one! I’ve got my eye on a mid-century front door at the Re-Sell store. Don’t know what the hubby will say when I tell him I want to change the bland steel door that the 2nd owners put on.

6. 50s Pam Reply

April 8, 2009 at 7:32 am

You know I’m in for one! Wow. I told you – you are in the epicenter of mid mod treasureland! Take pics!

April 8, 2009 at 8:04 am

You never know, sablemable, maybe he will be up for it! I love the starburst door accessories, too. They are definitely a must have!

Ok, Sara – got you down for two! I will pick up what I can find!

Ha ha, Pam! You are always in for one. 🙂 I love it. I will take lots and lots of pics, now that I am over my shock…

8. Tikimama Reply

April 9, 2009 at 11:23 pm

HOW did I miss this post??!! I got one of those doorbells last year off ebay for 10 bucks plus shipping (I think), but mine is gold. If you can find 2 more in silver, I’m in as well!

And if you ever find the starburst doorhandle estucheon (backplate) – I will WALK to your house to pick it up!

You are so lucky to have a shop like that near you – I wanna see more photos NOW!