Home » Decade » 1950 » Growing Season – Plans for a Mid-Century Modern Garden Shed

April 3, 2009

Growing Season – Plans for a Mid-Century Modern Garden Shed

Garden Shed

This little shed is a true Mid-Century Modern beauty. For the loyal readers who have been waiting for the next installment from the September 1956 issue of Popular Science that boasts ideas to “Make Your Home a Showplace”, your prayers have been answered!.  I have already featured plans for a bathroom medicine cabinet and an entryway divider from this great magazine.  And, in honor of the spring gardening season (even though it is fall in the picture) I am posting the plans FABULOUS mid-century modern gardening shed.

ps001This shed was designed for the Douglas Fir Plywood Associated by Anshen + Allen, Architects.  Anshen + Allen were started in the 1940’s and are still around, by the way, and going strong. According to their website, they now design healthcare, academic and research buildings. Their designs are amazing and a mix of international, mid-century modern and post modern, and it is no wonder they came up with this great shed.  And according to Eichler City, written by John Fyten, Anshen + Allen designed Joseph Eichler’s own house! So I guess this little shed has some pedigree!ps002

Wow. I love this.  If our property hadn’t already come with a little shed in the shape of a barn, I would be outside right now measuring and sawing to get this baby together.  I love the angled boxes and the metal roof. I love the color. Oh man, I just love IT.  It looks relatively easy to build, too. If anyone decides to build it, please email me and let me know!  I will be happy to feature the story on this blog.  Also, if you want full sized plans, just click on the images!

This post is partying it up at:

Hooked on Houses Hooked on Fridays

ps003ps004

12 Responses to Growing Season – Plans for a Mid-Century Modern Garden Shed

1. Marsi Reply

April 3, 2009 at 9:14 am

Fantastic post! I collect mid-century architecture and landscape books and I love seeing stuff like this. I have yet to build any of the projects, but when I find the home I plan on staying in for many years, this mid-century shed will be perfect!

P.S. – found you on Atomic Tea Party

April 3, 2009 at 9:50 am

Glad you like it, Marsi! I was so excited when I found it, and I really wanted to share it with others.

April 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Hi Ruth, I just got back from Texas yesterday! Whew…. It was a VERY fun trip, but I am glad to be back home in my own bed! I took a lot of pictures of some really cool things – most I could not buy, but would LOVE to have 🙂 and, of course, I actually found some really cool things to buy. I will send you pics, probably sometime next week, to the address you have listed above. Now to get caught up with the rest of your blog….. Sara
    P.S. That is one really cool shed!

4. Terry Kearns Reply

April 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Good grief. I remember seeing these things my when I was growing up.

5. Tikimama Reply

April 3, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I, a loyal reader, have been duly rewarded with this post! I shall put a photo of our hideous shed on flickr so you can see what I have been living with. Then I shall work on getting my husband convinced that he needs to build this shed for us! Perhaps a matching playhouse for the girls…hmmm?

6. Tikimama Reply

April 3, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Hey! Wait a minute! I left my comment, then went back to read the others, and lo and behold, I see a mention of my very own blog (how exciting for a new blogger such as I)! I’m thinking, “Who’s Marsi?”, click to find out, and ended up on one of my faves, The Cottage Cheese. Guess all this visiting each other’s blogs really helps out, eh?

April 3, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Hi Sara! Glad you are back. Can’t wait to hear about your trip and see pictures. I missed your comments while you were gone!

Lisa – Yeah, it actually does help out. 🙂 At first I thought that no one would ever read my blog, and now I can actually say “my loyal readers” because I have them! The Cottage Cheese is great – I added Marsi’s blog to my blogroll as fast as I could. Oh – and I wanna see that shed!

8. The Summer Kitchen Girls Reply

April 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Groovy “shed” ya got there Ruth!!
    We’ve enjoyed reading your posts –
    Thanks for sharing this one with us!!

9. Pingback: Hooked on Not So Big Houses (And Giveaways!) « Hooked on Houses

10. Deb Milne Reply

April 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I (sadly) am going to date myself, but I really remember sheds such as these. In fact my dad built a similar one. I too am a 56′ version, retro design..Ha!
    Love your post & I LOVE mid-century mod (:

11. Garden Sheds Reply

April 5, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Heading over to flickr right now to have a look at the details of the full plans. I love it.

April 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

Thanks, Summer Kitchen Girls, glad you like it!

Hi Deb! That is cool that you actually had one of these. Do you have a picture? Happy you loved the post! Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks, Garden Shed! Glad you loved it!