April 25, 2009Happy Birthday To Me! Oh…and Some Cupcakes
Hi Everyone! Today is my birthday! I probaby shouldn’t be this excited, since this means I am one year closer to 30, but I am really too happy to worry about being older right now. I am just excited to be where I am in my life right now. So, shove off thoughts about being older! Today I am just going to be me, no matter how old I am.
Hubs is taking me to a city-wide rummage sale in a nearby town today, so that is going to be fantastic. I will post lots of pics from the sale when I come back. And it is supposed to be 80 degrees today! Huzzah!
Well, since I am in a birthday mood, here are some cupcakes and a birthday cake I made for a friend whose birthday was on Thursday. They are vegan, believe it or not, and really good. The recipe for the frosting and the chocolate cake/cupcakes comes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. It is a great book, and I love the recipe for the frosting. I am not vegan normally, but a friend of mine is so I learned how to make cakes that she could eat, too. The vanilla cupcakes from the book weren’t great, but the chocolate ones turned out surprisingly delicious. I adapted the recipe and created a lemon and crystalized ginger version with lemon frosting that is killer. Hooray for cupcakes!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Fluffy Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, we use Earth Balance
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.