Home » Fashion » Vintage Dress Obsession – 60s/70s Sundresses

April 30, 2009

Vintage Dress Obsession – 60s/70s Sundresses

birthday-and-tuna-royal-023More great vintage dresses for me to show off today.  This dress I bought at the local Salvation army for $1.99. It isn’t the correct style for my body type, but I just loved the pattern of the fabric, so I thought I could make an exception. Just this once.

I almost made an exception for a vintage silk blouse that I saw when I bought this dress.  It had the most amazing tulip print on it, and the collar and 3/4 length sleeves were edged in kelly green.  I loved it, but it looked like someone spilled something red on the right front side.  The stain was faded, like someone had tried to get it out and failed, so that stopped me from buying it. Which sucks, because it was the most amazing fabric.  I really want an excuse to go back and buy it, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to reuse it or a foolproof stain removal trick, let me know.  I was thinking maybe a pillow or something. What do you think?birthday-and-tuna-royal-022

In any case, here is a close-up of the neckline of the dress I did get.  I love the pleats.  Once again, this is a hand sewn dress, no commercial tags in sight.  There are a bunch of vintage commercial dresses from the 40s to the 70s at the Salvation Army, but they are so tiny!  I would never fit into one of those!  Luckily, it seems that there were plenty of people around here to had to make their own clothes, and I am totally fine with buying handmade items.

birthday-and-tuna-royal-025By the way, these dresses are all photographed on our three season porch, which is finally warm enough to use.  It has a heater on it for when it gets cold, but I don’t like to run it too often because it is old and probably an energy sucker.

It turns out that the white brick wall that is shared with the kitchen is perfect for taking pictures of dresses and linens during a sunny day.

Anyway, this last dress is so pretty, another one I couldn’t resist.  Bought at the Salvation army for $2.99, I consider this to be a steal. It is so close to fitting. I am a little heavy in the top department, so the buttons strain a little when I put it on. Since it is summer and I will be riding my bike soon, I took a chance and bought it will the hopes of fitting into it by July.

So, I hope you liked the dresses. I have one more that I am hoarding for right now because  it is far too big, and I actually am going to try to cut it down to my size.  We will see how that goes!

This post was submitted to Vintage Thingie Thursdays by the Colorado Lady!  Check out everyone else’s vintage goodness…

16 Responses to Vintage Dress Obsession – 60s/70s Sundresses

1. Ann-Marie Reply

April 30, 2009 at 8:50 am

I love Vintage dresses and the prints on yours are wonderful. I can’t believe you passed up on dresses from the 40’s. NO matter how small I would have bought them just to look at. Or you could have sold them on ebay for a nice profit.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2009 at 9:27 am

Hi Ann-Marie!
      thanks for the comment. Ha ha! I wish I could buy everything I thought was cute. But there is only so much money…and the things I buy to sell for a profit are starting to take up too much closet space!

2. Elizabeth Reply

April 30, 2009 at 9:22 am

I love the color and shape of this dress, too.
    I am hosting a bunch of giveaways this week. It ends Friday night. Hope you’ll check it out.

3. ClassyChassy Reply

April 30, 2009 at 10:17 am

Those are cute – I can see why you liked them and the fabrics!

4. fitty Reply

April 30, 2009 at 11:05 am

i love the pattern and the colours.. nice to wear during summer time! happy VTT. thanks for sharing it. have a nice day!

5. Susan Reply

April 30, 2009 at 11:15 am

The neckline is very attractive and the prints are lovely. Nice finds!

April 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Ruth, Have you ever tried Oxi Clean to remove stains? It is a powder (oxygen bleach) that you mix in warm or hot water to remove stains. You just soak your garment for like 30 mins. or so. It has worked amazingly well for me. I have used it on all sorts of things like vintage hand towels and barkcloth. It never takes the original color out – only the stain. I cannot guarantee it would work on your shirt stain, but if the shirt is cheap enough you may want to try it. I am assuming the silk would be washable.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hi Sara and Lisa! I have tried Oxi-Clean, also with mixed results. Some stains have come out, and some haven’t. I have always wondered if there was another product out there to try when Oxi just doesn’t cut it….Oh, and the silk shirt was dry clean only! I should have mentioned that in the post. I should probably just forget about the stain and go with the pillow option.. 🙂

7. Tikimama Reply

April 30, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Regarding OxiClean – I’ve had good and not-so-good results. I’ve had it remove stains like a charm, and also fade colors in the fabric. Maybe I’ve left my items to soak too long (I tend to walk away and forget about stuff like that). I think it’s a good product, and always worth it to try on something that you love, and that’s cheap! Just a word of warning for the easily-distracted!

8. Marie Isabelle Reply

April 30, 2009 at 1:17 pm

This looks like such a comfy dress to wear too! It’s just adorable:)

9. Coloradolady Reply

April 30, 2009 at 4:09 pm

What cute dresses and fabrics. I would say you got a great deal. If something is dry clean only, I have no idea how to get the stain out. Have a great VTT.

10. Miri Reply

April 30, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Cute dresses! Love that they were hand made!

11. Anonymous Reply

April 30, 2009 at 7:11 pm

cool dresses!

12. farmlady Reply

April 30, 2009 at 7:35 pm

These dresses are actually very cute. The 60′ was better than the 50’s. I think. You had to wear the clothes all day to know what I’m talking about. A poodle skirt had crenoline slips that were full and fluffy and always showing under your skirt. You would be hiking them up all day. I was so glad when the mini skirts and sandals came into style. Thanks for the memories.

13. CC Reply

April 30, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I just love the dress, the design and the fabric.A wonderful dress for spring and summer. Happy VTT and hope you have a lovely weekend.

14. mannequin Reply

April 30, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Beautiful fabrics; nice call!
    I love trolling thrift shops, I once found a gorgeous Jackie O jacket (in PINK!). Such fun! I visit our Salvation Army every week.