Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Dresses – My New Obsession

April 28, 2009

Vintage Dresses – My New Obsession

So, to be fair, I do have a new obsession every week.  This week I seem to have gone crazy over vintage dresses.  But not just any dresses, vintage dresses that I can wear every day if I wanted to.  Work dresses. House dresses. Whatever you want to call them, I love them!

birthday-and-tuna-royal-028I know you are always supposed to save the best for last, but I am showing my favorite one first. Bad, I know, but what can you do?  I am excited to show it off.

This dress, a red tartan-type check that I picked up at my local Goodwill for $2.99, was totally someone’s everyday dress. And it is handmade, no labels in sight!  The tiny buttons down the front are actually fake, and it opens in the front with a couple of velcro tabs.  It was probably someone’s dress for when they were nursing, which I think is cute. There is a great pocket in the side of the skirt and the shoulders have these really clever gathers.

This dress fits me perfectly, and looks so sweet with a white or blue apron over it.  And yes, I have been wearing it!  I suppose I should pack it away and preserve it or something, but I really love it and I love wearing it.  I wore it the other day while I made cupcakes and I had a great time!birthday-and-tuna-royal-029

So, what do you think?  Should I be storing and preserving my dresses, or do you think I should just wear them for everyday?  Your opinions matter to me, so let me know!

7 Responses to Vintage Dresses – My New Obsession

1. 50s Pam Reply

April 28, 2009 at 9:50 am

Wear them, for sure! Great dress. I love vintage clothing, too, of course! It’s hard for me to find stuff that fits, though, I am too tall for the 40s 50s or 60s, alas.

2. Karen Reply

April 28, 2009 at 9:56 am

Wear it!!! It’s totally cute and looks perfect for spring/summer. Add a little cardigan for cooler spring days and you’re set.

I don’t understand the point of just storing and preserving (although, much of my too-big wardrobe is just that), although my best friend often displays her vintage finds–dresses, hats, purses–by hanging them on her walls, rather than wearing them.

April 28, 2009 at 11:51 am

Ruth! That dress is the absolute cutest, I LOVE it. I would totally wear it ALL the time. In high school I would always want to wear vintage dresses when I could, my Mom could hardly talk me into going to a mall. I have this thing now about wearing dresses as much as I absolutely can, esp. retro or retro inspired dresses. I absolutely fell in love with Isaac Mizrahi dresses when he was at Target. He did the best 50s type of dresses, and the fabrics he used were awesome. The dresses were CHEAP too, retail around $40, but sometimes you could get them for $9.99 on sale! Sadly, he just left Target this year to design for Liz Claiborne, and the dresses he has out now are not quite the same, plus the prices are a lot higher because they are at the mall. Whenever I wear his Target dresses out though, usually someone will ask me where I buy my vintage clothes – and then I have to tell them the whole Isaac/Target story. But definitely enjoy your ‘new’ old dress find, and wear everything vintage that you can!

4. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

April 28, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Oh, definitely, definitely wear it! That’s the only way we get joy from our stuff.

5. Shari Harniss Reply

April 29, 2009 at 8:20 am

Wear the pretty dress, use the old linen napkins, burn those expensive candles, and wear that costume jewelry! Life is so very short, to be sure. Enjoying every single day is our duty and priveledge.

April 29, 2009 at 8:48 am

Thanks for all the feeback, everyone! I think I have to wear them, just because I love them so much. And you are all right! I should seize the day and enjoy what I have rather than hoarding it…

April 29, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I like this dress! Should be very cool to wear this summer. Show us more dresses!