Home » Decade » 1950 » Mid-Century Homes for Sale – Time Capsule in Sablemable’s Neighborhood

May 29, 2009

Mid-Century Homes for Sale – Time Capsule in Sablemable’s Neighborhood

Here is another house set to me by Jan, aka Sablemable.  This is a one-owner, time capsule house that is just amazing! Click on the link if you want to see all 24 pictures.  Here are the highlights of this great place.

This house is for sale in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and the asking price for this gorgeous home is only $189,000.

A redwood home!  I love the look of these houses.

The fantastic living room.  Look at all the windows and the natural light. And I love the eclectic decor! The fireplace is amazing, and check out the black chair on the left near the window.  I am swooning!

I have never seen a hallway look as good as this.  Even the bird painting is awesome!

Check out the clock on the back wall!

Wow. Well, I am done.  Look at this dining room. LOOK! That light fixture is so sweet. And I love the paintings! I just want to pick up this room and attach it to my house.

Love that wall of closets.

This guest room! I can’t get over it!  The bedspread, the wallpaper, the curtains!!! All fab! And the built-ins above the bed are adorable. Love it.

Hmmm…maybe Hubs wants a summer home in Benton Harbor….

6 Responses to Mid-Century Homes for Sale – Time Capsule in Sablemable’s Neighborhood

May 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

What a great house Sablemable! I am so jealous of all your super cool houses up there in Michigan. Thanks so much for sharing!

May 29, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Don’t know if you noticed in the description, Ruth, the house overlooks the St. Joseph River. And you’re only a hop, skip and jump away from Lake Michigan, too.

The kitchen cabinets look like the originals and all of those windows! Luv it!

I need to haul Bob over there and take a tour. Dying, just dying to see the bathrooms!

May 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I should have given a bit of background on the owners and the area in which we live.

The original owners were wealthy, old money wealthy that is. I went to school with one of their sons. I wonder if the owners are dearly departed or have moved to a warmer climate? They would be in their mid to late eighties by now.

It was quite the thing to move into the Fair Plain area when it was being developed (circa 1948-49). There is one road, Miami Road, where there are what I call “mini-mansions” lining one side of the street. There is even a Frank Lloyd Wright home, too. The doctors and lawyers all lived on Miami at one time. On the other side of Miami are modest MCM homes, but they’re nice, too. I know, I know, get your camera out, Jan, and take some pictures!!!!!!!!

So there is a pleasant mix of small-large homes here in Fair Plain. Unfortunately, many people don’t want to live here anymore since the integration of schools (1966) and those living here moved away as a result. We have a wonderful balance of ethnic descents-Sicilian, Asian Indian, Native American, African, Middle East, etc. that have bought homes here. There’s a small Mom and Pop grocery store up the street along with a gas station and the hospital is a straight shot across the bridge to St. Joseph. Going the other way, there’s the mall, restaurants and more grocery stores. So it isn’t too bad during the winter time when shopping is needed.

Ok enough of my hot air, LOL!

Thanks for posting the 2 houses, Ruth! And Sara, stop drooling! LOL!

May 29, 2009 at 7:26 pm

*cleaning drool out of keyboard now* he he! 🙂

5. Dr. Julie-Ann Reply

May 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I used to live in Michigan City and My Honey and I would take Sunday drives into the general area where these houses are. I had NO idea I could get such a great house for so cheap! I never would have left the Midwest if I’d known!

(DrJulieAnn whose crooked 1920’s house on a crooked hill in a “developing” area of downtown Los Angeles is valued at 300, 000+ on Zillow)

6. Tikimama Reply

May 31, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I just can’t get over how much you get for your money out there! Well, it’s the same in the outlying areas here, but you live way out in the desert!

Don’t know if I could hack the winters after being a California girl for so long, but a summer home….hmmmm…..