Home » Decorating & Home » Time Capsule Homes » Mid-Century Modern Home for Sale – Sablemable’s Neighborhood

May 26, 2009

Mid-Century Modern Home for Sale – Sablemable’s Neighborhood

Hello everyone!  I hope you had a great holiday weekend.  Hubs and I fired up the grill and did a lot of entertaining this weekend.  It was really the first time that all of the people we had over weren’t close friends, so that meant a lot of cleaning and a lot of tours of the house!  The most common comment was “this is a huge house”, and I was disappointed by the lack of enthusiasim for the retro decor! 🙂  Ah well…there is no accounting for taste.

Speaking of houses, I received a few emails over the weekend from Jan aka Sablemable of some mid-century houses for sale in her neighborhood.  If anyone else wants to send me a link for a great retro home for sale around them, feel free and I will try and work it into the posting rotation.

Here is the link for this super cute house.  The asking price for this baby is $125,900. I have to admit – it has a bit too much wood paneling to be my house, but I totally think it is cute.

front

I love the front. That angled roof is awesome.

kitchen-1

Cute kitchen.  A few details would restore this kitchen to its retro-glory.

kitchen-2

Check out the light fixtures and the wallpaper!

bathroom-2

Love the teal countertop!

So, head over to the site and check out all the pictures of this great house.  And stayed tuned for more great houses from Sablemable and from my neck of the woods!

12 Responses to Mid-Century Modern Home for Sale – Sablemable’s Neighborhood

May 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Sablemable – thanks so much for sending Ruth the links to the house! I am soooo jealous of all your houses up there! And the prices, please send those prices down here! That house is great. I LOVE the beamed ceiling and those super cool windows! The mosaic tile in that one bathroom is awesome and the fireplace (in the basement?) is fantastic! I will take it!!! Can’t wait to see the other houses for sale.

Ruth – I cannot believe all of your guests were not thrilled to pieces to be in such an awesome house! The gall!!! 🙂 Don’t they know you are the famous Retro Ruth whose house has been featured on Retro Renovation??? ha ha Anyway, you are right, there is no accounting for taste! 🙂 AND, don’t believe them when they say it is a huge house. You will fill it up before you know it! Our house is a 4 bed, 2000 sq foot – no basement. And everyone said “Why are you buying such a HUGE house?” when we got it. Now 11 years later, we do not have enough room! I still need some of those extra closets of yours Ruth!

2. Tikimama Reply

May 26, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I feel the same way when people don’t notice my AWESOME decor – humph! I really think lots of people don’t get that we are doing it on purpose, like they remember the furniture or decorative items from their childhood, or grandma’s house, and think they’re just old. Well, *I* would drool all over everything in your house if I ever got the chance to visit!

I can’t believe homes are selling for prices like that in other parts of the country. Where I am (and Sara too, evidently), the recession, bottom-of-the-housing-market prices are still in the 300,000s!

May 26, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Tikimama – Those are totally the “Recession” prices here – right around $300,000! Unless you want to buy in the stuccoville boondocks – then you can get a foreclosure for around $100,000 to $150,000 maybe, and then the house is usually trashed! Apparently, we all need to move to Michigan – the retro capitol of the world, where it is also affordable. 🙂

May 27, 2009 at 12:55 am

Well, I don’t know what to say about the “guests.” Maybe they’re jealous. I happen to think you and everyone that follows you are A-1 class acts! Of course, we’re totally crazy over MCM and that makes us even more classy! I feel the same way, Tikimama-we decorate MCM on purpose, but, considering there are some dense folks out there………………………………………

Thank you, Ruth, for posting the pics of the homes for sale around here. I love sharing stuff like this with my MCM partners-in-crime.

You’re all welcome to move to Michigan where the snow is deep and the days are gray, gray, gray until spring. There are a LOT of foreclosures here and more to come, I’m afraid. Thankfully, most of those foreclosed on haven’t trashed the houses.

June 2, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Friends, I have to vent a moment!

Yesterday, I ran into the 2nd owners of our 1955 home. The husband carried on and on about how he had spent tons of money on the house while he owned it and how ANYONE who lived there after them should be pleased with his “improvements.” When I told him how I was restoring the home back to the era in which it was built, he started to question me about why I was doing that since he had done so much in the house.

Bob had to pull me away because he saw how red my face was becoming and the fire coming out of my eyes (which means I am angry, and I was). All of us here and on Retro Renovation are devoted to MCM, however, we don’t criticize others for not sharing the same affection for the style. To each his own.

I know that you all understand and have had similar experiences and that is why I unloaded on you. Now I’m determined even more to get my house back to what it once was, WITHOUT the “improvements!”

Thanks for letting me sound-off, gang.

Jan

• RetroRuth Reply

June 3, 2009 at 9:11 am

Hi Jan! – You know, people are always funny. I LOVE our house, but I am sure that most of our friends and Hubs’ coworkers think we are insane. No one thinks that people should like old things. They think, “Everyone wants new, right? And the bigger and more expensive, the better!” That is just how our culture is. Our “style”, while slowly coming back, definitely isn’t a mainstream choice. And a lot of people don’t like different. They just want what everyone else has got. So, when we tell someone about restoration to a 1950’s style or show them our house, sometimes they just don’t “get it”. And to play devil’s advocate, the guy put a lot of money and effort into creating what he thought was a masterpiece out of garbage. Just let his reaction roll off your back. It probably hurt his pride that you didn’t appreciate it. Men are pretty fragile creatures when it comes to their pride. The only way he could probably justifiy why you wouldn’t want his “improvements” is that you were “wrong” and he was “right”!

June 3, 2009 at 12:11 am

Jan, Kudos to you for telling him what you were going to do with YOUR MCM house! I personally hate it when all of the MCM houses listed for sale here say ‘granite, w/cherry cabs, and stainless apps’ or ‘totally updated, inside and out’. I mean, come on people, I could buy a new house for that! I think most people do not get that what we all want is the charm and uniqueness of an old MCM house. Heck, I even think my realtor thinks I am a bit insane! I do agree though, to each his own, because the MCM style is not for everyone – though I can’t quite comprehend why anyone would not love it as much as us! 🙂 I think it is SO awesome what you are doing Jan, bringing back an MCM house to what it SHOULD be. We have your back girl, vent if you need to!!! You should send in pics to Ruth sometime so we can check your awesome MCM pad out, I would love to see it!

7. Tikimama Reply

June 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm

How awful! I would’ve had the same reaction Jan! I’m so grateful our current home didn’t have any “improvements” made to it because I’d just have to be undoing them all.

I think Ruth and Sara are right – people just don’t get why we love the original details, and they are conditioned to think new is better. I have neighbors across the street with a pink bathroom that they want to rip out, and I keep pleading with them, but they just can’t see how it would be worth it to restore instead of replace.

Take pride in your home – it is YOURS now! I get so many compliments on my original kitchen, and my “old” decor – people will come around eventually!

• RetroRuth Reply

June 3, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Oh my god, Tiki! You get over to that neighbor’s house and take pictures right now! That poor bathroom. I know everyone is allowed to make their own design choices, but why buy a place with a pink bathroom if you are just going to rip it out?

June 3, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Oh, thank you, Ruth, Sara and Tikimama for “consoling” me, LOL!

I was just so mad over his arrogance and I just had to shout out about it.

Though we are in a minority with our deep love for MCM, I can safely say we march to the beat of our own drums, LOL, which I have always done in my lifetime!

I have never had so much fun coming here and to the Retro Renovation site, shmoozing with kindred souls, sharing info and photos and recipes and whatnot and the occasional swooning/drooling over our MCM treasure hunts!

So, if we have to vent, we all know where we can come to do it!

Thanks again, Girlfriends!

Jan

June 4, 2009 at 10:54 am

Tiki, if they do gut the bathroom, ask if you can take the fixtures and whatever else is salvageable!

10. Tikimama Reply

June 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I’ve been telling them that I’m going to take photos, they just think I’m weird. Two sad things about it: it was partially remuddled in the 80s or 90s by the looks of it, so the original sinks and cabinets are gone. There appears to have been a vanity area (this bathroom is huge compared to mine). Previous owners replaced the bath surround tile and floor. Bummer. But I still think they should restore! The husband is totally into retro and loves my decor, but wants a bigger tub! That’s his whole reasoning for replacing a perfectly lovely pink tub. Hmph! I’m going to make sure they salvage the tub and toilet though, if I possible can!