Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Thrift More & Score » Sewing Up A Storm – Thrifted Vintage Sewing Treats

May 14, 2009

Sewing Up A Storm – Thrifted Vintage Sewing Treats

vintage-finds-044So, my friends and I decided to start a sewing group, and I’ve been gathering  vintage sewing books and vintage fabrics in preparation for tons of crafting projects. Hopefully I will get SOMETHING finished!  🙂

These are some of my recent finds.

This is a set of sewing books from 1940 that were in the cabinet of a sewing machine at a thrift store. The person who was selling the cabinet was nice enough to sell them to me without the cabinet for $5.  They are in great condition, and full of all kinds of great advice and pictures.

vintage-finds-062

Another great sewing book, picked up at the local Goodwill for $1.  I probably won’t use much of the information in all of these old sewing books, but they are a great inspiration.  I love the pictures, especially.  And there is a section in this book about making and mending curtains, which I am excited to use!

I am surprised how many great older reference book end up at the Goodwill for cheap.  I pick up a lot of great cooking books, and they have some great older medical textbooks as well. Just waiting to be cut up for crafts!

vintage-finds-051

This is a super fun book I picked up for a nickel at a garage sale.  It is PACKED on every page with patterns and fun vintage crafts, like these cute aprons. vintage-finds-050

I also picked up some great fabric in a bundle for $2 from the same garage sale.  Here are some of the pieces I found in that $2 bag of fabric. vintage-finds-053And the biggest surprise of all:

vintage-finds-061Vintage quilt blocks! I was so excited.  Some have older fabrics that others, but they are all cute.  Hmm…the first project for the craft group???

This post has been submitted to the party at ColoradoLady’s Vintage Thingie Thursdays!  Head over there and check out every else’s great finds!

15 Responses to Sewing Up A Storm – Thrifted Vintage Sewing Treats

1. Susan Reply

May 14, 2009 at 9:27 am

How sweet to find those blocks! I love old sewing books to get ideas. Have fun in your new sewing group.

May 14, 2009 at 11:47 am

Somewhere in this moving mess, I have 2 sewing books that my mother had and used. I also need to retrieve Mom’s Kenmore sewing machine, circa 1959, from my brother’s home. Wonder if I can remember how to use the machine, LOL? I first learned to sew on it, AFTER, learning to stitch by hand! Argh!

In Home Ec class, 1966, we girls were assigned to make a sheath dress. Mine was made of a heavy cotton in a bright green pop-art print. Wonder where it’s at now, LOL? Probably disintegrated by now!

Ruth, your sewing club sounds fun!

May 14, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Ruth, your sewing group should make a bunch of retro dresses!!! Maybe find some old patterns and go off of those – that would be so very cool.

Home Ec class seems like a million years ago Sablemable! Mine was in the mid 80s, and we could choose what we wanted to make, I wanted to make a mini skirt from some knit baby blue material. I have no idea what happened to mine either! Do they even have Home Ec class anymore?

Love the quilt squares!

4. Callie Reply

May 14, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Old sewing books are great. I have a bunch myself. And they do make excellent reference books. I have the McCall’s Sewing Book. It’s going to aid your sewing group greatly. Good luck. I’m glad I happened across your blog.

5. Elizabeth Reply

May 14, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I agree about the vintage reference3 books. I don’t know why people get rid of them, sewing is sewing and cooking is cooking. Unless they never wanted it in the first place or they’ve died and no one wanted it.

6. postcardy Reply

May 14, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I like vintage sewing books and supplies but I don’t like sewing.

7. Tikimama Reply

May 14, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Fun stuff! I’ve got a collection of old sewing books and patterns and booklets, too. This summer I am determined to re-learn how to sew!

Great fabric finds, too, and the prices you get this stuff for can’t be beat!

8. Tikimama Reply

May 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Oh, and I had Home Ec in the early 80s, too, and I made an apron. Gotta find that thing!

9. Anonymous Reply

May 14, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Very nice sewing post.!!

10. CC Reply

May 14, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Ooooooo, I love all your finds..but that fabric and quilt blocks is just too much to hope for. What a find!! Happy VTT and have a lovely weekend…and I love your blog.
    P.s. Have you started your sewing/crafting group yet? I think I might like to join..I love to sew and craft, although I’m not expert.

May 14, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Sara, as a retired public school secretary I can safely say that yes, they still have home ec classes, however, boys are now required to take the course. It used to be girls had home ec, the boys had wood shop. Have no idea what goes on in home ec nowadays. And I think the course name has changed as well, but I don’t remember what it’s called now.

All of the trades classes (auto body, mechanics, farming, wood shop, metal shop, etc.) have been eliminated from the school district where I was employed. I guess they don’t think those classes are important any longer.

12. Bea Reply

May 14, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Great finds. I love the red fabric.

13. Pingback: google.com » Blog Archive » crafts using old books

14. Miri Reply

May 15, 2009 at 4:10 am

Great finds! Looks like you found someone’s stash of trial blocks-I also make a block to test a new pattern…really neat to have those!

15. coloradolady Reply

May 17, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Lovely sewing things…love the fabric and especially the quilt squares. Your sewing group sounds like great fun. Thanks for participating in VTT. Sorry, my comment was late, I have been out of town.