Home » Decade » 1950 » Etsy Round-up – Vintage Dream Dresses

July 16, 2009

Etsy Round-up – Vintage Dream Dresses

Hello, all!  I know I promised that I would post pictures of some thrifted dresses this week, but I had to let my mom borrow them for a presentation she is making about vintage sewing, so I am sans dresses this week. To make up for it, here are some great vintage dresses for sale on Etsy right now that I just adore.

This first dress is a fabulous black and white party dress from TimelessVixenVintage. I love the sash on this dress and the chiffon black and white overlay. We are going out to the nicest restaurant in town next week, and I wish I had this to wear!Black and White Dress

Here is a great classic 50’s dress, a circle skirt red shirtdress from Planetclairevintage.  I love this dress, all you need is a white frilly apron!Red Dress

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…this green raw silk dress from myfavoritevintage might be my favorite dress of all time! I adore the pintucks and all the little details. Gorgeous. Green Silk

8 Responses to Etsy Round-up – Vintage Dream Dresses

July 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm

OMG! That red dress screams June Cleaver!!!!

Yes, yes, yes to the black and white strapless dress, Ruth! If you had this dress, what color shoes and purse would you wear/carry? I might have worn a pair of black satin heels with ankle straps and carry a red (or pink!)evening clutch. Don’t know what jewelry I’d wear, but diamond pendent earrings would look great!

• RetroRuth Reply

July 16, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Hi Sable! That dress is totally June Cleaver! I adore it.

I would wear red heels or kelly green heels with the dress. I would totally wear a red necklace. Ohhhh…so many choices with black and white. 🙂

July 16, 2009 at 1:46 pm

These dresses are the bomb Ruth! I LOVE them all!!! Yes, Sable that dress is totally June Cleaver, I loved watching the reruns of that show. I am amazed at how much people are asking for these vintage gowns, I guess they are really popular now though. I remember back in the mid to late 80s (when I was in high school) I was obsessed with buying and wearing vintage 50s/60s – I remember only paying like $10-$20 on the stuff I would buy. I still have a lot of the dresses, packed away though, because they are to small now 🙁 I will have to dig them out sometime and check them all out again. I even insisted that my senior pic be taken in an old 50s/60s dress! Great finds Ruth!!!

3. Lara Jane Reply

July 16, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Funnily, I’d just been looking vintage dresses on etsy this past week!

The bad thing is, I run across very few which are large enough in the bust. I’d buy some patterns and make dresses myself, but you’re really not saving much money that way so I hate to invest the time!

4. Alex Reply

July 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

Love the dresses! I found one like the red dress, but it’s a beige and black pattern. I wear it to work! I have the same problem with the bust area, Lara Jane. I’ve found some designers that are copying these vintage designs. One is called Eliza J. Check it out.

July 17, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I had for the longest time, my mother’s dress/jacket ensemble that she was married in. It was a toast color linen, a size 12 and try as I could, I was never able to fit into it (can you believe it was too big for me? LOL, nowadays I couldn’t fit one leg into a size 12!) A friend of mine liked the dress so much that I gave it to her.

Somewhere in these moving boxes are color photos of their wedding day (1951) and when I find them, I will scan and send one with Mom in her dress for you to post here, Ruth.

Speaking of clothing, since nothing good was on the tv last night, I watched Imitation Of Life with Lana Turner on DVD and wow, the clothing was fantastic! Very nice MCM furniture shown as well. An Affair To Remember is another fashion winner as well as Magnificent Obsession and All That Heaven Allows with Jane Wyman.

6. Anonymous Reply

July 20, 2009 at 1:37 pm

i love the black and white dress, enough that it’s making me rethink what era i want to do my wedding in. it’s absolutely gorgeous.

7. tilia Reply

March 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm

is there somewhere you can get the black /white one or one like almost like it?