Home » Decade » 1940 » Gallery of Vintage Window Awnings

July 20, 2009

Gallery of Vintage Window Awnings

Metal Awnings 017I discovered an entire treasure trove of post-war metal awnings this weekend in Bay City.  Tom and I were driving through unfamiliar territory looking for an estate auction when we came upon a couple blocks of some of the cutest, most colorful metal awnings I have ever seen.  And what better place to photograph all of these great awnings than in the town that was home to the Aladdin Company, who produced kit homes for many years.  There are so many adorable period neighborhoods in Bay City, the architecture there is almost as fun as the shopping!

In any case, I took about 35 pics of vintage awnings, which I have uploaded to Flickr.  Take a look at the slideshow and enjoy a great Monday!

[tylr-slidr userID=”” groupID=””]http://www.flickr.com/photos/34773478@N07/sets/72157621590898705/[/tylr-slidr]

9 Responses to Gallery of Vintage Window Awnings

July 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I really love all of those awnings, esp, the turqouise one – and the houses are super cute too! Mike and I were antiquing in a small town in AZ a few weeks ago, and this one store we went into had the orig. metal awning from the 50/60s still up on the outside (which still looked great by the way). It had these SUPER COOL atomic starburst designs all over the underside of the awning. Mike had actually pointed it out to me, and then he went onto say that his Gramps installed these back in the day and he had this EXACT same awning material. So I quickly asked, “Do you think they have any leftover stuff, we could have, that they would be throwing out anyway?” But, he said they already threw everything out a long time ago. Boo Hoo! Anyway, we may go back to Antique there soon and if we do I will make sure to snap some pics and send them onto you. So did you ever find the Estate Auction????

July 20, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Sable – which one is your fave????

July 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Hi Sara!

Thanks for all your comments, it always makes me so happy to read what you have been up to. We did indeed find the auction, those photos will be posted tomorrow. You are going to love it, I bought this bird planter that I think it awesome but that everyone totally hates! It makes me happy in a weird way….

July 20, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Ruth – I totally LOVE your blog and I would not miss it for the world! It is AWESOME!!! I still need to start up my own blog, but you know how time gets away from you and all…….. Someday though! And, you know, it seems like I am always buying stuff that other people hate. he he 🙂 Can’t wait until tomorrow, for the auction pics.

July 21, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Here I am!!!!!!!! How did I miss this posting?

Oh, I’m swooning over these awnings!

My fave style are the ones with the scalloped bottoms and vertical stripes, Sara (pic #7).

Oh me, oh my, I must have these put on my house!

July 23, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Ruth and Sara, I wouldn’t even know where to begin starting a blog, so, I just come here and enjoy myself! I’m so old-school that I still remember how to operate a mimeograph and set margins on a manual typewriter, LOL!

And Ruth, you are always so sweet to feature stuff that your followers send you!

July 23, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Oh my gosh Sable – a mimeograph! I remember my *OLD* elementary school (in Tennessee) had one of those before it had a normal copy machine. I remember getting the copies and they were kind of a purple/bluish color, and they came to us still feeling damp and always had this distinctive smell to them. I loved getting those mimeograph copies, thanks for the memory Sable!

July 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm

LOL @ smell of the mimeograph copies! We kids in school used to love smelling them. Thank God no one got high or sick or anything!

At my first full-time job doing clerical work (1973), no one but the head clerk was allowed to use the Xerox. If I remember correctly, one needed special training in order to operate it and since I was low clerk on the totem pole……

9. Emily Reply

July 27, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Can you still buy those aluminum window awmings like on the yellow brick house anywhere?