Home » Decade » 1950 » Live The Fairytale – Storybook Ranch For Sale

July 6, 2009

Live The Fairytale – Storybook Ranch For Sale

OutsideOkay, so this may not be the traditional Storybook, or “Cinderella” ranch with the Hansel and Gretel style gingerbread trim on the outside, but something about this ranch that is for sale in my neighborhood really feels like that style.  Maybe it is the great kitchen, or the rose bouquet wallpaper in the bathroom that makes me think of living inside a little cottage!

Love the exterior color, by the way. In any case, this house is 1581 square feet and is for sale for $135,000. You would have to put up with a one car garage, but otherwise this house is a great candidate for restoring to 1950’s glory!

Love this entryway tile!  The forest green is awesome and totally goes with the “into the woods” feel. Entryway

Super sweet and retro chic, I ADORE these kitchen cabinets.  The best is that they still have the original hinges that make them look like grandma’s cabinets.  I am betting that copper range hood is original! The wallpaper doesn’t look vintage, but it still cute.

Kitchen

The wallpaper extends into the dining room, where I am not so crazy about it, but I am crazy about that fantastic brick fireplace. Love the built-ins and the paneled wall. Hmmm…I wonder what color the kitchen cabinets used to be?

Dining Room

This bathroom looks redone, but check out the rose bouquet wallpaper!  It matches the curtains AND the shower curtain. Wow.  Now that is dedication to a pattern.  In any case, this bathroom could easily be redone to match the period, and the wallpaper would work, too!

Bathroom

Ohhhhhh…I love picture windows.  And you get a ton of neutral pinch pleat drapes.  Ahh…heaven. Family Room

11 Responses to Live The Fairytale – Storybook Ranch For Sale

1. Laura Scola Reply

July 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I would buy this house in a heartbeat! What a treasure… thanks for sharing it!

2. Alex Reply

July 6, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Great house! An old friend of mine just posted pics of her “updates” to her “new” home on Facebook. Her and the hubby took a sledge hammer to the pink bathroom and the blue one. Why? There were also cool built-ins that got the sledge hammer. What is wrong with people? I think I might cry. I have a lavendar bath and a mint green. I wouldn’t touch that tile for anything! My sis has a maroon and grey, a pink, a blue and pink, and a blue. They are in mint condition. At least now I know that there are others that respect the colored tile. 😉

3. Mom Wald Reply

July 6, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Ya know, I grew up in a ranch house, and I always said I would never live in one. You guessed it, the area we wanted only had ranch houses available. I have been trying to turn it into a “cottage”.

What I need to do is have you come over. YOU make anything sound WONDERFUL!

• RetroRuth Reply

July 7, 2009 at 9:20 am

LOL! Thanks, Mom Wald! Maybe I should be a salesperson…. 🙂 Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment!

July 6, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Ruth, I totally agree about the wallpaper, not for me, I need way more 50s kitsch in my wallpaper – but the house is SUPER cool anyways. I LOVE that kitchen, I just wish they would have left it the original pine (as you pointed out), then it would have been a total Mad Men kitchen! The hardware is GREAT though!

Alex – Thank you so much for preserving all of the special things about your house, like the retro tile! Your bathroom sounds fantastic! If you have some pics please send them in to Ruth, we would all love to see it. And tell your friends they have devastated a lot of retro lovers out there! 🙁

July 6, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Nice house, but too much renovating for my tastes. Thanks for the photos, Ruth! We always enjoy a bit of “window-peeping.” (had a co-worker who used to love to ride around at night when people turned their lights on and kept the curtains open where you could catch a glimpse of the living rooms. She used to call it window-peeping, LOL!)

Alex, my 1955 built ranch has yellow fixtures and medium mint green wall tiles, plus nice built-in cabinets, all original. The only thing the second owners did was put down a tile floor, which is okay, but I’d rather have the old asphalt tiles that are now buried under plywood and ceramic tile.

Oh, gang, I have my brass pull-down light up and running in the eat-in area of the kitchen!!!!! Photos to come.

Bob actually gave me a power tool to use (hedge trimmer) and I went to work on the overgrown hedges in the front yard. Didn’t do half bad, meaning I didn’t butcher the greenery to bits, LOL! I have “before” pictures, just need the “afters” when I’m finished.

Cross your fingers also, friends, because I think I may have Bobby convinced on changing the newfangled entry doors with MCM originals via the ReSell store. He didn’t flinch when I suggested we go to the store tomorrow.

6. Alex Reply

July 6, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Sara – I will get some pics together in the next few days. I’m so glad I found other people like me!

• RetroRuth Reply

July 7, 2009 at 1:09 pm

You are among Mid-Century Friends here, Alex! Feel free to send me any pictures or ideas for posts: rkehm at hotmail.com. That is sad about your neighbors’ bathrooms, but it is their house, so we have to respect their decisions! What I think is sad about that situation is that sometimes people who don’t want a Mid-Century house have to buy one anyway, for budget reasons, location or whatever, and then they try to turn it into something it isn’t meant to be. I have seen so many ranches in this town “updated” poorly. If you don’t like the style, don’t buy the house!

July 7, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Alex – We are all suckers for mid-century ANYTHING here. And, most of all we love, love, love “time capsule” houses – or any house that really retains most, if not all, of it’s original features. Your friends are INSANE for ripping out all of the cool built-ins and esp. the pink and blue bathrooms. 🙁 But hey, there really is no accounting for taste! So, welcome Alex, it is nice to have you here – and you are definitely among retro loving friends! Can’t wait to see pics of your house! And yes, we all “respect” the colored tile. 😉 In fact, we are all crazy for it!!!

8. Chantelle Reply

July 8, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I am in looove with the picture windows, the fireplace (with built-ins!) and the kitchen.

Now why can’t they have built homes like this here in Southern Ontario? And why can’t they be that price? I’d buy that house in a heartbeat if it was here.

9. Sheryl Schroeder Reply

July 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm

WOW! What state is this house in? I’m guessing it’s not anywhere near CA, where I am about to buy a ONE room studio condo for $120,000k and it’s a LOW INCOME STARTER! Wow. What I wouldn’t give for a little more space and value. That home is a beauty! Wherever it is… I want to move!