Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Madness in Bay City

July 5, 2009

Mid-Century Madness in Bay City

Hi all!  Hope everyone had a happy and safe Fourth!  On Friday, Hubs and I went to Bay City to do some thrifting and check out the mid-century furniture selection at the antique stores.  They had a ton of goodies to oogle, and each one was pretty sweet. And the lamps, my god, the lamps!  In any case, I have a slideshow of the fabulousness to show all of you.  So enjoy!

[tylr-slidr userID=”” groupID=””]http://www.flickr.com/photos/34773478@N07/sets/72157620813313403/[/tylr-slidr]

8 Responses to Mid-Century Madness in Bay City

1. Sara In Az Reply

July 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm

WAY COOL stuff Ruth! Bay City is a great place to antique. Hubby and I went there once, while visiting his family in Michigan, about 6 or 7 years ago. I really liked it there. I want to go back sooooo badly now, since I have seen all these cool pics of what is for sale there. So, did you guys buy anything??? Speaking of Bay City, did you ever get a chance to buy any of those starburst doorbells that you found in that lighting store?

• RetroRuth Reply

July 6, 2009 at 9:32 am

Thanks, Sara! I do love Bay City. They have one of the most fab thrift shops ever, The Cat’s Meow. It’s like a giant Walmart filled with thrift store items. Oh my goodness, I am getting faint just thinking of it. Sable, where are those smelling salts! 🙂

Anyway, I DID go back for the doorbells but they were sold out. Dang it. I spoke to the owner and he said they would let me know if/when they find more. But I will let you guys know!

2. Alex Reply

July 5, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I stumbled across your site because I was searching for a picture of a bridge loaf. OMG! I love this. I’m drooling over the red rocker. My parents are retired antique dealers, so I can’t get my hands on much anymore. My area is not the greatest for 1950’s finds.

July 6, 2009 at 10:45 am

Hey, I have one of those tv’s in a cabinet that someone had abandoned in this old home that we had bought once. It’s in a blonde wood cabinet, too! I’m going to have Bob pull out the television and just use the cabinet for something else.

Oh, deary dear, I must make a road trip over yonder to check out the treasures there in the Midland/Bay City/Saginaw region. At least Bob enjoys thrifting, so I won’t hear him complaining about going shopping, LOL!

I bought my kitchen wall clock yesterday off Etsy, gang. It’s a round, plate type, but is metal with a coppertone finish (love that coppertone!). As soon as it arrives, I will snap a photo and send it on for review.

Alex, same around my neck of the woods, the retro/MCM goodies are slim pickings. Every now and then I’ll find something, but it’s far and few between. I’m now hunting for those old metal lawn chairs that I’m sure someone has and isn’t using.

4. Sara In Az Reply

July 6, 2009 at 11:03 am

Ohhh Bummer Ruth! Thanks for checking on the doorbells though. Maybe some more will come in sometime??? Definitely send in pics of your clock when you get it Sable – it sounds very cool! Oh and Sable, they sell the retro look metal chairs at Lowe’s. Do you have one near you? I think the chairs are around $40??? And guess what, they have one in blue/turquoise and one in a mint green! They also have a mini table and a larger table. They were not on display in my Lowe’s when my Mom bought some, they were all still in the box in the lawn chair aisle.

5. Sara In Az Reply

July 6, 2009 at 11:13 am

Here is a link to one of the Lowe’s metal chairs. And they are $35!

It looks much more green in the pic online. I remember it looking more mint green in person.

6. Alex Reply

July 6, 2009 at 11:17 am

That’s funny you mentioned those chairs, Sable. I’ve been on the hunt for them myself. I was driving through a neighborhood the other week, and I saw an older gentleman relaxing on his porch in one of those chairs. There was a pristine matching cream and red glider beside him. I keep thinking of going back and offering him a price.

• RetroRuth Reply

July 6, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I know what you mean, Alex. A lot of older people in my neighborhood have their original porch furniture, and I die of envy every time I walk down the street! I have seriously thought about making them an offer…

Sara – I saw those chairs and I love them. If anyone needs retro outdoor furniture, I would recommend those!