Home » Our Houses » Our Kitchen Is Featured in the Midland Daily News!

July 19, 2009

Our Kitchen Is Featured in the Midland Daily News!

Exciting news, guys!  We are featured in a fantastic article today in the Midland Daily News.  Thanks to Pam at Retro Renovation for helping us to get in contact with the editor, and Lori Qualls who did a great story. Head over there to check it out!

Commercial Flooring

8 Responses to Our Kitchen Is Featured in the Midland Daily News!

July 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm

RUTH!!!! How GREAT is that article! You and Tom look so cool in your AWESOME kitchen! How fantastic to be featured like that. Now, I hope this article inspires people to keep the old retro feel of their homes alive and well. I can’t believe they offered you a free design consult to rip out that awesome kitchen of yours. EEEKKKK! Thank God you got that house before someone else did!!! Anyway, I loved the article – great job guys! 🙂

July 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm

What a wonderful article! Yes, I agree with Sara, you both looked “cool”, so MCM!

Your wall oven, Ruth, is that the original? It looks like an almond color or yellow, I can’t tell.

A big thumbs up to you, Ruth!

July 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I went to Flickr to view other photos of your kitchen, Ruth. LOL, I see now that your wall oven is indeed white!

That pull-down light is gorgeous! And all of that storage space! Yes, I’m swooning!!!!!!!

July 20, 2009 at 9:58 am

Thanks, guys! I adore the house, and it is so fun to get to show it off. Sable, the oven isn’t white, it is almond or off-white. The pictures in flickr must be off a little bit! It isn’t the original oven though, it was replaced in ’86. I do love the one I have though, it works great and heats evenly, so I am not complaining!

5. Jane (aka) Elvis Reply

July 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Great article, Ruth. Every feature like this that appears makes me happier about the midcentury homes someone will hold off before automatic gutting. Isn’t it fun to share the mid-century joy?

6. Alex Reply

July 24, 2009 at 6:11 pm

That’s awesome! I’ve been out of town, so I’m just catching up this week. We are the second owners of our house too. It was built in 1951, and the owners designed everything. I’ve been fortunate to still have contact with the children of the owners because the owners passed away. I’ve found out a ton of stuff about the place. For example, the brick was purchased, when the local county jail was torn down in 1950. I have jailhouse brick! It’s very cool, though.

That was a great article, and you guys do look very cool in your kitchen. 🙂

7. Diane Reply

July 25, 2009 at 6:11 am

I too enjoyed the article in MDN as my parents built the house and I sold it to Ruth and Tom, though I have never met them. Realtors convinced me to “neutralize” the house, so most wallpaper was removed and the offer of a consult to revise the kitchen was a response to the uninspired lookers who didn’t have Ruth’s vision or appreciation of mid century modern.

I know my brother has written you, but I may be able to shed some light on various things related to the history of the home if you desire.
    So glad you are enjoying it.

July 25, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Diane – THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for not changing anything more than the wallpaper in that AWESOME house! We all LOVE it, and your parents did a fantastic job designing/building it! Now, did they ever build a house in Arizona that I could buy??? 🙂