Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Sunbeam Ads – Automatic Beyond Belief!

July 24, 2009

Vintage Sunbeam Ads – Automatic Beyond Belief!

Happy Friday, everyone!  Tom and I are in Pierogi Fest in Whiting, Indiana today.  It is going to be great, and I promise to post some pictures as soon as we get back!

In the meantime, here are some great ads from a Sunbeam Mixer Cookbook I bought recently.  This book was published in 1950, and I just adore the illustrations. But the best part are the full page, full color ads in the center of the book. Sunbeam Ads001

Thank goodness for this iron, I have been scorching my finest lingerie for too long!  Seriously, though, the shape of this iron is really fantastic. Amazon has a retro model by Hamilton Beach available that I think is really too cute. Hmm…gotta clue Hubs in for the gift potential in this one.

Sunbeam Ads002

Isn’t this the sweetest toaster?  I love the design on the side.  And check out the tufted banquet seating in the back of this photo.  Who wouldn’t want a turquiose banquet?  Fabulous.  Oh…and the best part of this toaster is….

Sunbeam Ads002a

Wow….it slowly lowers the toast and then slowly brings it up when it is finished. I love it!  It is toast of the not-to-distant future. Does anyone have this toaster, or did anyone’s parents have one??  I would love to hear if this actually worked like it was supposed to.

Stay tuned for more Sunbeam ads!

7 Responses to Vintage Sunbeam Ads – Automatic Beyond Belief!

1. Ingrid Reply

July 24, 2009 at 8:18 am

My parents received this toaster for a wedding gift in 1951. It continued to toast until last year!

July 24, 2009 at 12:19 pm

The Pierogi Fest sounds cool Ruth, you must visit the beer garden too! 🙂 Don’t you just LOVE old ads? I think that is why I got hooked on buying Ladies Home Journal Mags from the 1950s, they have the best pictures and ads – the stories are pretty interesting too. And, guess what, they also have recipes!!! Mike and I actually made a hamburger recipe (from a 50s LHJ) a few years ago and it was pretty good too. We had to be careful cooking it though, because the burger wanted to fall apart. That toaster is very cool!

July 24, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Sunbeam had the best looking small appliances during the Fifties!

What route did you take? The scenic or superhighway? Indiana is a very scenic state and they preserve their historic courthouses and homes.

Stuff yourselves good with the pierogis and have a wonderful weekend, Ruth and Tom!

July 24, 2009 at 7:11 pm

LOL, Sara! Leave it to you to mention the beer garden!!!!!!!! Hey, it is Miller time, right!

Sara, I adore old magazines, too! I’ve been collecting Seventeen from the late Fifties; I have several of the ones I bought from 1966-1971 when I was a teenager, but they’re falling apart. I always loved to read the ads about the cosmetics and shampoos and such. I miss my favorite shampoo, Lustre-Creme, which had lanolin in it. I have the most snarly, tangled hair and have to use tons of rinse/conditioners on it in order to pull a comb through it, but the Lustre-Creme did the job by itself.

The LHJ should have a bunch of MCM decorating photos in it, too!

5. Amy Reply

July 25, 2009 at 5:45 am

I love this! My mother use to have an iron like that in the early 70’s. btw if you go to my blog in the archives on vintage thursday thingies there is a scanned copy of a 1960’s sunbeam booklet.

July 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Sable – It is soooo Miller time! That is so cool that you have saved some of your own, original, Seventeen magazines from the 60s/70s. I used to get that mag all the time too. I ‘ll bet the older ones, like you have, are really great. Lustre-Creme shampoo, I would love to try that, I wish they still had it. My hair is crazy too, so it sounds like it would work wonders for me. LHJ does have the best decorating photos, they also have all of these great ads for the old asphalt tiles and steel cabinets – drool, drool! 🙂

7. LouAnne Reply

July 30, 2009 at 11:23 am

Led to your blog by MaryFrances of “meanwhile back at the ranch” and I just wanted to say that I still have a Sunbeam toaster that works just fine. It was purchased in 1954 in an AirForce base commissary by my brother as a Christmas gift for my Mum. We have purchased many others of these for each of our daughters over the years and I believe they are all still in use.