Home » Decade » 1950 » Emergency! Save the Mid-Century Contents of an Apartment Building in San Franciso! They’re Free!

August 28, 2009

I got an amazing email from Tom, an architect in San Francisco yesterday.  He writes:

I’m an architect in San Francisco whose client just purchased a 1959 4-unit apartment building.  It’s a time capsule that’s been closed since 1974, oddly.   The kitchens each have robin’s egg / turquoise refrigerators, sinks and stove/ovens, all matching and intact. I’m pretty sure they all work (but probably major energy killers!) The cabinets themselves aren’t that special, but we’re interested in possibly salvaging/selling anything rather than throwing it away.

Not sure where you’re located but do you have any insight as to how we might find some interested buyers of some of this stuff?

Umm…yeah Tom. I think I can help! 🙂

Here is one of the pics Tom sent me.  Oh my god, this is so cool!

Look at those stools.  I am going to spontaneously combust here, people.

More from Tom:

(The client) is really chomping at the bit and would rather haul everything away – yesterday!  But those turquoise fridges…oh my GOD – love the color.  A couple of them have some rust spotting, but about 2-3 of them are in excellent shape.  I might take one myself – even though I’m in a rental – and use it as a cabinet or something, not plugged in. . they even have all the original ice trays!
The apartments are also partially furnished, but with what I would describe as furniture having the early 60s shape, but not good quality.  Some decent lamps, a bunch of couches whose cushions have petrified – rock hard, plastic-topped fake wood end tables, some Cindy Brady bedroom furniture, etc.

*Update 8/29 – The stuff has been spoken for, but you can still enjoy the pictures!  I will put up more info if anything changes!

10 Responses to Emergency! Save the Mid-Century Contents of an Apartment Building in San Franciso! They’re Free!

1. tiddleywink Reply

August 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I WANT IT ALL! My boyfriend is in the Bay area with a truck today. I emailed Tom his phone #, and sure hope they can get together! I’m dying over here!

• RetroRuth Reply

August 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Good! If you get some stuff, can you take pictures and send it to me? I want to see more close-ups, especially of those stools! I am so happy someone is saving it!

2. Stacey Reply

August 28, 2009 at 1:53 pm

My grandmother had that orange couch… I love the stools too! Too bad I live on the East Coast!

August 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up Ruth! I will let you know what Mike thinks….. It is all really awesome stuff. Too bad the current owner does not want to keep it as it is and rent it out as time capsule apartments! I would totally want to rent an apartment like that!

4. Vivienne VaVoom Reply

August 28, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Anyone know what you would call that style of bedroom furniture? I’m looking for stuff like that, but don’t know what to search for! And I’m in Denver- waaaay too far to head out to SF and pick that stuff up, unfortunately!

• RetroRuth Reply

August 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Hi Vivienne!

I would call it 1960’s French provincial, but not sure if there is a specific name for it, though.

Sara – Let me know what you guys decide!

August 28, 2009 at 9:41 pm

OMG, I’m going to faint! The turquoise appliances! The pink bathroom!

6. angelica Reply

August 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Can you ship a whole kitchen to Dearborn MI? I’d just about fainted when I saw the kitchen of my dreams!

7. Tess Reply

September 1, 2009 at 12:45 am

Oh my goodness! I had bedroom furniture JUST like that when I was little. I inherited it from my mother, who had it in HER bedroom (I’m 22.) That makes me smile!

September 1, 2009 at 7:47 am

That is awesome, Tess! A princess dream bedroom… 🙂

I know, angelica! I felt the same way. Just pack it up and mail it to Midland.

Sable! You should have heard me squealing when I got the pictures of the apartment. In fact, I am pretty sure my neighbors heard me.

Sara – I would have loved to rent that place, too! Ah well, to each his own I guess.