Home » Decade » 1950 » The 1950’s House from the Museum of American History

August 13, 2009

The 1950’s House from the Museum of American History

Pix_from_Gateway_DC_043I adore reader contributions!  Not only do I get to know everyone better through their photos, but we also get to see great stuff that we might not otherwise get to experience.

This set of photos from Alex is a great example of that.  They are from her recent business trip to Washington D.C., when she stopped at the Museum of American History. Of course, the collection there includes this amazing period “house”, and Alex took pics so the rest of us could squeal over it. (And faint, if we are Sablemable!)

So get out the smelling salts, ’cause Alex took some great shots.  And if you want to see the pictures in more detail, just click on them for a close-up.

I love that clock on the wall. The fabric for the throw pillows is fantastic.  I have something very similar that I found recently in a pinch pleat drape.  I am trying to rig something up in the craft room for them. Photos of that coming soon!

If you look down at the photo in the exhibit sign, I am pretty sure that is a pink living room set. Wow, I would love to see that one!

Fantastic kitchen!  I adore the mint green stove.  I have never seen one that color, and I just love it. I also love the metal partition next to the stove.  Does anyone have something like that!  Send me pics of it if you do!  Alex, do you remember if it went all the way to the floor?  Inquiring minds want to know!

What we all lust after in our heart of hearts.  A boomerang counter top with stainless steel edging. Great picture!

A close-up shot of the kitchen counter.  Hmmm…I wonder if I could visit the museum and sneak that stove out under my sweater.  What do you guys think?  Could I pull it off?

Thanks again, Alex!

7 Responses to The 1950’s House from the Museum of American History

August 13, 2009 at 3:28 pm

OMG! Thank you, Ruth and Alex for the photos!

We NEED a road trip to D.C.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sheila Reply

August 14, 2009 at 12:08 am

What GREAT memories! I remember seeing every item somewhere that is in this house. Turquoise, green and yellow mixed together went into the early 60s. The mint green stove and hood are actually faded turquoise, the “chic” color of a kitchen back then. The other alternative was pink. This reminds me so much of the house I grew up in! I would LOVE to completely decorate my kitchen in 1950s or 60s design, WITH the microwave of course. lol.
    Love your site!

3. Alex Reply

August 14, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I can’t remember if it went all the way down or not! 🙁 I’m glad you enjoyed them. I forgot I sent these too.

August 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Alex! What great pics. Thanks so much for sharing all of the cool photos. That kitchen is to die for! You must have had a GREAT time looking at all the retro goodness.

Ruth – you could totally sneak that stove out under your sweater! 😉 And, you must hang those curtains up in the craft room, they were MADE for that room, they would look fantastic in there!!! Have you figured out anything yet?

• RetroRuth Reply

August 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I am trying to think of something. Tom says if I hang them they will cover most of the windows and keep out the light. He is right about that. I also can’t shorten them because the print is on the edges rather than in the middle. Rrrrr! I am still thinking about what to do….

5. Tikimama Reply

August 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm

What a fantastic place to visit – you’d have to draaag me outta there!

My kitchen has its original turquoise/aqua oven and tile and I adore it! A dream come true for me would be to have a matching dishwasher and fridge. I feel so sorry for people with bland granite/stainless steel/travertine kitchens!!

6. Hope Phillips Reply

October 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm

WOW! My cousin and I used to eat in the “breakfast nook” every morning at my great grandma’s house in Monett, MO. It was a looooong but really narrow room on the side of the kitchen with a gazillion windows. I was trying to jog my memory about this room because I want to do a ‘whimsical’ sort of painting of it. The boomerang countertops that you have shown here are exactly what the countertop looked like. Thanks for posting.