Home » Decade » 1960 » Thrifting Find of the Week – Vintage Blown Glass Italian Cockatoos

August 30, 2009

Thrifting Find of the Week – Vintage Blown Glass Italian Cockatoos

Glass Birds 010Here is my most recent thrifting find.  Two fabulous vintage hand-blown glass birds from Murano, Italy.  They are about a foot tall, and are matching but not identical. I picked these up while I was at Goodwill, for a surprising $6 for the pair.  Amazing.

Unfortunatly, this is another thing Tom and I don’t agree on. He doesn’t like the birds, but I love them. I think they look great on the new table in the living room, the gold sparkles inside the perches they sit on looks really good with the other accent pieces.

Tom thinks they look ok on the table, but he says he could think of better things to go there.  Right now, they are on the table, so we will see what happens.  Marriage is all about compromise, right?  Maybe the awesome birds will have to be listed online for some lucky collector in the future.

Right now, they are happily perched in our living room.

Full-sized Glass Birds

Full-sized Glass Birds

Close-up Of Bird Face

Close-up Of Bird Face

In Their Temporary Home In The Living Room

In Their Temporary Home In The Living Room

6 Responses to Thrifting Find of the Week – Vintage Blown Glass Italian Cockatoos

1. P. Reply

August 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

The birds are freakin’ awesome!

August 30, 2009 at 10:26 am

OMG, what a find, Ruth! I think they look fabulous on the table, very, very MCM!

LOL, hubbies are sometimes hard to convince over our “treasures.” Maybe Tom will “grow” into them!

Wouldn’t that be wonderful to have items that were worth lots and lots of money?

August 30, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Those birds are pretty cool Ruth! Too bad Hubs does not like them. I also think they look totally fab on your table. Maybe Tom wants something more MCM looking??? Hey, you can always hold out hope because your little gold flecked formica topped tables are in the 3 season room! Maybe those grew on him???

I don’t really know anything about Murano Glass, I wonder what they are worth? $6 seems like a steal though. Great find.

4. Amy Reply

August 31, 2009 at 3:41 am

Love them!

• RetroRuth Reply

August 31, 2009 at 9:34 am

Thanks, everyone! Nice to hear they are appreciated. 🙂

August 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Those are absolutely gorgeous! I think they look excellent on the table, maybe Tom will come around?