Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Inspiration » Vintage Houses and Buildings From Recent Roadtrip

August 18, 2009

Vintage Houses and Buildings From Recent Roadtrip

Estate Sale and Ebay 034Tom and I saw so many cool houses while we were driving out to the Thumb this weekend. (For you non-Michiganders out there, the Thumb is the little part of the Michigan “mitten” that sticks out into Lake Huron. Cute, huh?) But the problem with seeing cute houses when you are driving is that there is never enough time to get the camera out an snap a pic before you roar past.  Especially with Tom driving! (Just kidding, moms!)

So, I was only able to snap some pics of houses when we were driving at a more sedate pace through the little towns on the way to Caseville.  Here is a shot of a cute factory with an Art Deco feel that we saw in downtown Sebewang.  I really love the rounded front and glass block on this one.

Estate Sale and Ebay 024

Here is a great brick ranch with vintage metal awnings from Essexville. I love all the little trimmed bushes in the front of this one.

Estate Sale and Ebay 023

Another cute brick ranch from Essexville.  The landscaping in this one is great, too.  Those flat, round bushes look like unbaked buttermilk buscuits!

Estate Sale and Ebay 022

Love the white accents on this ranch, which was also from Essexville.  Sorry this one is kind of crooked, but Tom was getting back up to highway speed while I was furiously snapping pictures.

Estate Sale and Ebay 038

But I finally got him to pull over when we saw this great house in Bay City.  I have driven past this place a lot, and every time I am floored by how awesomely MCM it is.

Estate Sale and Ebay 039

Here is the same house at a different angle.  Isn’t it fabulous??  The teal color with the brick is amazing, and their flower garden is phenomenal! I wish I would have been braver, I would have knocked on their door and asked for a tour!

6 Responses to Vintage Houses and Buildings From Recent Roadtrip

August 18, 2009 at 11:53 am

Ok, we have to get Tom to slow down a little so you can get your pics! he he! Just Kidding Tom! I’ll bet all those little ranches have the coolest interiors and that MCM house in Bay City is SO cool! Me wants! Is that some kind of inlaid brick design in the driveway? That house is seriously awesome! Maybe when Mike and I come up for a visit we should all go up to the door and beg them for a tour!

PS – I told Mike about the Cheeseburger Fest and he totally wants the Blue Cheese Cheeseburger!

August 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Great MCM houses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Art Deco building is wonderful! There is a building here in Benton Harbor that was built during that era. I met the owner once and asked him about it. He said there’s an apartment above it where he and his family lived for years. Nice A-D details. Yes, I know, I have to snap a photo of it!

Interesting note on the business-they make head stones, LOL!

• RetroRuth Reply

August 18, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Yes, Sable, you do have to snap a photo!

Do you think asking them would work, Sara? I am so shy about that stuff, it would be awesome to have some backup. And yes, that is their house number inlaid into the brick!

3. Mary-Frances Main Reply

August 18, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Ooooo, LOVE the last house – see that’s where I get weird and people have me brought up on stalking charges. Lurking around their front door with a camera!

Yay! LOVE the colors!

August 19, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I know Ruth, I am a huge chicken about doing stuff like that too. Maybe though, if me and you go up all innocent looking and ask ‘pretty please’ for a tour cuz we love, love, love your house they would be nice enough to oblige. We could ask, the worst that could happen is they say no. I say let’s give it a try!

5. Tikimama Reply

August 20, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Wait! I wanna come too! I’m totally brave about such things, just let people know what I’m up to, and you’d be surprised how often people will invite you in!

The little brick ranches are adorable. We don’t see too many of those in SoCal; I think it’s more of a mid-west thing. The “trimmed bushes” comment you made reminded me of that new ladies’ personal razor commercial – have you seen it?!

P.S. The only real risk with asking to see the inside of someone’s home is the risk of disappointment if they’ve remuddled everything. Then you just have to be polite and oooh and aaaah over boring stuff.