Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Thrift More & Score » Retro Finds From Globe/Miami AZ – Mad Men Antenna, Pink Toy Kitchen and Funny Bunny Book!

September 11, 2009

I don’t have any great finds this week to show you guys, so we get to see Sara’s great finds instead.  Thanks, Sara!

Sooooo, last time you saw some retro pics around Globe and Miami Az. This time we will check out my retro-tastic finds from Globe/Miami!

First up is a funny little book Mike found for me called “Four Little Bunnies”  with photographs by Harry Whittier Frees

Apparently Mr. Frees was well known in the early 1900s for his photographs with all different kinds of animals. The book was first published by Rand McNally and Company in Chicago in 1935, and has no stated author. My edition is from 1939. I think the text was kind of secondary to the book, as the pictures were the BIG story really! Mike saw this and knew we had to get it, as I am crazy for rabbits! This is the most charming book, it has dozens of different pictures with bunnies dressed all sorts of zany ways. I cannot imagine how he was able to actually get all the animals dressed and photographed, it must have been crazy in that photo studio!

Next up is the Pink General Electric Structo Kitchen!   100_2023

We found 3 pieces of this General Electric Children’s Kitchen Set and totally fell for it. Who here does not love pink, I mean, come on, pink is the bomb! So, since it was pink, and metal cabinets, to boot – we had to have! I cannot find much info on these toy cabinets. I believe they started manufacture in 1959, and there were (possibly) 9 pieces in total that you could get. Looking online I have seen a double wall oven, a dishwasher, a refrigerator, and a regular cabinet. If I have my information right you could buy these separately for $7- $9, or the whole set for $60 – which was quite a chunk of change in the 50s/60s! I wonder who was buying these back in the day? It must have been rich people. I would have probably begged my Mom for a set of these (if I was around then) and she would have told me that I could just play with the real cabinets that were already in the kitchen! Anyway, what is really cool about these cabinets is all of the pieces actually do something. Check out the corner cabinet – the drawer works and there is a rotating lazy susan inside, with a real wood chopping block on top!

Here is the stove, and the burners actually light up!100_2008

How cute is that?

And finally, there is the sink. 100_2014

We have not figured out the sink just yet, as it’s wires were not attached when we got it. So, I will soon have Mike, the engineer, on the case to figure it out! It does something with water though, because there is a mini pump mounted under there.

Eventually we will mount all of these to a board with VCT tile on it, as the top picture shows, and have a mini retro kitchen!

Lastly, we have the Retro ‘Mad Men’ antenna! Did I actually say ‘Mad Men’, well yes I did. Mike and I love Mad Men, who doesn’t around here? And, every time I see Mad Men I want to crawl right on into the TV set and have a nice little chat with Betty, Don and the gang (of course, with a Martooni – Sable!). We saw this antenna in a store in Globe, actually I did not know what it was at first until Mike told me (he he), but we left it behind. I thought it was totally cool, but was not really sure on buying it, though it was only $12.  Well, right after we saw this we were watching MM season 2 again (in preparation for season 3) and Lo and Behold in “For Those Who Think Young”  the first episode, it is right there – smack dab in the middle of Joan Holloway’s TV! I could not believe it, the same type of antenna Mad Men used, how totally cool. I saw the same antenna this season in “My Old Kentucky Home” while Joan and Greg are hosting their dinner party. Well, of course, we had to get it now……

You have to love the antenna, it is so retro and funky looking!

So, there you have it – all our retro finds from Globe and Miami Arizona.

I hope you all enjoyed the pics!

12 Responses to Retro Finds From Globe/Miami AZ – Mad Men Antenna, Pink Toy Kitchen and Funny Bunny Book!

1. Maggie Reply

September 11, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Cripes — I replayed and replayed that scene at Joan’s dinner party, trying to figure out what that metal thing was in her apartment. I finally gave in and decided it was some form of modern art. Now I know!

September 11, 2009 at 6:59 pm

OMG, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that little girl kitchen set! I’m getting lightheaded! Don’t blame you for getting them, as I would have, too! I don’t remember ever seeing anything so elaborate, but I did have a little combination stove/sink/fridge in white metal to play house with.

I don’t know if I would have figured out the antenna, but it is neat-o!

September 11, 2009 at 8:20 pm

LOL Maggie – That is what I first thought when I saw it! But hubby quickly informed me it was, in fact, an antenna – and then I noticed all the wires on the back! But, I still think it looks like Modern Art anyways!

Sable – Smelling salts are ready and waiting! I really thought that pink kitchen set was the absolute cutest! It was kind of a frivolous purchase, but they were only like $13 each, so I went for it. You gotta have things that make you smile! 🙂

4. Lara Jane Reply

September 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Sweet stuff! Hooray for Sara!

September 12, 2009 at 12:36 am

TY Lara Jane! 🙂

6. Alex Reply

September 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

“You gotta have things that make you smile!” Exactly! These are great. I LOVE that antenna. I’ve never seen anything like that, and now I want one. The kitchen set is great. I’ve seen wooden ones from the 50’s, but I’ve never seen a metal set. Sweet.

September 12, 2009 at 9:35 am

Can we come over and play house, Sara? Please! I’ll bring my Chatty Cathy doll!

September 12, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Alex – Thanks so much! I really do love to get funky, kitschy things that make me smile – life is tooooo short!!! You must look for a retro antenna around where you live and let us know if you find one. The antennas are so totally cool to have, even if you don’t really use them – they are neat just to look at.

Sable – Of course you can come over! I have my old ‘My Friend Mandy’ doll ready and waiting. 🙂 Chatty and Mandy will be fast friends, I am sure – and they will just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their retro pink metal kitchen! 🙂

September 13, 2009 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the post, Sara! I ADORE that antenna. Oh my gosh, I have never seen anything like it. Too cool!

That little kitchen is the most squeal inducing thing ever! That is so cool that you want to mount it on a tiled board. Instead of using one big tile, you should do smaller ones – go to a local flooring store and ask for any Armstrong commercial flooring samples they have. When we got our floor they gave us a box of little two inch tiles and let us keep it! He gave me the impression that they had too many samples and didn’t know what to do with all of them.

September 13, 2009 at 10:02 am

Funny how we never stop being little girls, who still delight over toys!

That really did make my day, Sara! Wish now I would have kept my doll house (all metal) that Mom and Dad bought me for Christmas circa early 1960s. Fudge.

September 13, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Ruth – That is a really cool idea! I will ask a flooring store if they have any small tile samples they would let me have. I did not even realize they had samples like that to give away. Thanks for the tip!

Sable – LOL, you are sooooo right, we never stop being little girls do we! Ohhhh, I have seen those old metal dollhouses around, they are so cool. Bummer that you do not have it anymore. Maybe Bob will buy you one for a gift one day! 🙂

12. Pingback: It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World | No Pattern Required