Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty » Sewing » Vintage Crafty Saturdays – Making a Vintage Window Cornice Box

September 12, 2009

Vintage Crafty Saturdays – Making a Vintage Window Cornice Box

Sewing 1001For this vintage crafty Saturday, I decided to show you guys someting that I have been wanting to make for my kitchen for a long time.  A cornice box.

The only changes I would make from the box that Ruth Wyeth Spears makes is that I wouldn’t add quarter round to mine to make it traditional.  I think I would just leave it square and cover it with fabric or paint it.

If anyone has one of these in their house right now, send me a pic!  I know that if you want to see a great covered cornice box, check out Pam’s kitchen at her Retro Renovation site!

Click on the picture to enlarge it!

Sewing 1016

6 Responses to Vintage Crafty Saturdays – Making a Vintage Window Cornice Box

1. Alex Reply

September 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I have them throughout the entire house! They are all original. I’ll get pics to you by tomorrow.

• RetroRuth Reply

September 13, 2009 at 9:15 am

Sweet, Alex! Can’t wait to see pics.

What fabric did you put back on, Sara? Have I seen a picture of it yet?

September 12, 2009 at 6:45 pm

ALEX – We MUST see pics!!!! Please!!! Your house sounds so awesome!!!

I have 2 cornice boxes; but mine are just made out of really thick, rigid styrofoam and then covered with cotton batting and barkcloth. They were in the house when we bought it, so I just took their fabric off and put my own on.

September 13, 2009 at 9:59 am

Yes, Alex! Let’s see some photos! I want a cornice box for my picture window, one with a scalloped bottom.

You, too, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! We want to see your cornices!

Snaps to you, Ruth, for mentioning cornice boxes! The major department store catalogs back in the Fifties used to offer them for sale.

September 13, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Hi Ruth and Sableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The fabric I used for the cornices was the same fabric I used for the H-W table runner. You can see it in the pic with my pink pyrex refrigerator dishes that was posted last June. I can take a pic of the cornices and post it though, because you can’t really see the fabric that well in that pic.

5. Alex Reply

September 13, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I just sent some pics, Ruth.