Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Help Taco The Cat Find A Home!

October 15, 2009

Help Taco The Cat Find A Home!

Phone Pics & Taco 010Well, we’ve done it again.  The handsome boy on the left is Taco, the cat that wouldn’t stop crying in the bushes last night until we fed him.  Now he is sleeping quietly in our warm garage, completely oblivious to the people wringing their hands inside the house.

We CANNOT take another cat.

We own three cats already, all of which were rescued in some form.  The latest addition to our group (pre-Taco) was Midnight, the cat we found on the rail trail LAST October and only kept because she was, well, a SHE and because she was super friendly.  Three cats was pushing it, but four is just too many.

So, anyone out there want a cat?  He is very friendly and is front paw declawed.  He was incredibly hungry and thirsty when we found him, and ate like a little pig.  I am taking him to the vet this afternoon to get him looked at and get him some shots, but other than that he seems fine.

I wish I could just take him to the cat shelter, but there is NO shelter here in Midland, just animal control.  And I am sure the officers there work very hard, but the procedures there are medival at best.  They have a small amount of metal cages that house cats, and when new cats come in the old ones get put down, which happens quite often.  And they don’t receive a lethal injection either.  They get shoved into a box AND GASSED!  Seriously.  I didn’t even think they did that anymore, but they do and it is disgusting.

I love Michigan, but the one thing I hate about living here is that they have a very lax attitude toward animals.  Pets aren’t part of the family here, they are just animals.  I suppose that it is just a different point of view than mine, but I don’t like it.  If the kitten isn’t cute anymore, or if you leave and don’t want to take your cat with you, you just let it go in the woods. There is no shelter or animal rescue to rescue anything.  Oh sure, there are organizations, but they are understaffed and have no place to keep animals themselves.  They rely on foster homes to keep cats from the gas box at animal control.  And the kicker? NOBODY CARES!  Everyone here works hard and volunteers to plant flowers along every major roadway in the city, but there is no animal rescue.  What is that?? There are too many stray cats around this town for people to have that kind of attitude, especially in a city where the main draw is a good quality family life.  How can we set a good example for children if we don’t take care of the animals that depend on us???  Are we teaching our children that if you can’t take care of a living thing, you can just throw it away?

Aaaanyway, I am coming off my soapbox now.  The point is, Tom and I need to find this kitty a home because I don’t want to take it to Animal Control, and anyone that can help out will be a saint in my book!

Phone Pics & Taco 011

8 Responses to Help Taco The Cat Find A Home!

1. Kelly Reply

October 15, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Poor sweet guy! I wonder what his story is…where he came from. Apparently at one time, someone had him as a pet. I hate to think about him out there in the wild hungry and thirsty – and declawed. I don’t know anyone around your parts looking for a kitty but I’ll be sending you good vibes. I know what you mean about lax animal control standards and people who think of animals as cast-off possessions. It seems like it’s easier for people to just turn their heads to the problem. Thanks for doing what you can for him. Maybe post him on Flickr too. Flickr is awash with animal lovers.

2. Alex Reply

October 15, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I wish you lived closer! I have a ton of contacts here because we have the same type of problem you described. I’ll send some emails out and see what I can find out. Some of the people I know do out-of-state adoptions. They may know someone in the general area that can help. I’ll keep you posted.

October 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Oh My Gosh, that is such a sad story Ruth. I feel horrible for that cat, who was obviously a pet at one time, as Kelly said. I cannot imagine who would go through the trouble of declawing a cat only to dump it off, it makes my stomach churn. I know it doesn’t mean much, but thank you so much for rescuing that cat. It probably felt the kindly cat vibes coming out of your house, or it just likes the 50s! 🙂 I totally wish Mike and I lived closer, he would probably be running over there to take that cat.

4. Mattenylou Reply

October 15, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I think it’s your lucky day! Haven’t you heard that cats always find the folks they want to live with? I think this little furry boy was looking for you… lol.

I do hope you find his owner, tho.

Most of our best cats I’ve had throughout my life have found me, and we’ve been so appreciative of the happy outcome, not the first week, maybe, but later on I realized there was a reason these babies came into our lives… just sayin’, in case he ends up becoming part of your family.

5. Annie B. Reply

October 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Thank you so much for caring about this wonderful animal, and all the others out there. You’ve won my heart! I support your sentiments on animal welfare very strongly and particularly adore cats (have four 4-footed, feline mid-mod devotees at home).

Taco is so very handsome; I’m hoping he finds a safe and loving home. He’s prompted my very first post to your wonderful website, so he’s already a little lucky charm.

In fact, your good deed for Taco has inspired me to say that, if you ever run short of vintage cookbooks for your Wednesday night wonders, just yell: I have a huge collection with many duplicate copies and I’d be glad to bestow a few on you, if you’d like.

Good luck and thanks for all you do!

6. Mary-Frances Main Reply

October 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I put this out on my facebook – not sure how many Michiganites I have on my list, but maybe someone?

7. Conni Reply

October 16, 2009 at 4:49 pm

We tried, desperately, to stop at four rescues and ended up, happily, with thirteen! All indoors!!! They are a lot of work but I can’t imagine not having them, now.

I sure hope you can find Taco a home or find a way to keep him. He’s so sweet! And you are sweet to help him.

October 17, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments and support, guys! We have a few people lined up to take a look at him, and if no one takes him we will start posting “for adoption” notices on Flickr and C-list rather than “found” notices. 🙂 He checked out just fine at the vet and is now happily living in the heated three season porch.