Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Inspiration » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Happy Halloween Y’all

October 20, 2009

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Happy Halloween Y’all

I love this post by Sara – vintage Halloween is the best!

Happy (early) Halloween! Since I totally love Halloween (and would have wanted to get married on Halloween, if Mike had not had interfering college courses 🙂 ) I thought I would say ‘Happy Halloween’ to everyone! I had to do it a bit early, since I only do a post for Ruth about every other week. Annnnd, yes, I did say y’all in the title! I figure since I practically grew up in Tennessee and Texas I am allowed to say it every now and then, just like I have to say fixin’ sometimes too. 🙂  Anyway, on with the Halloween fun!100_2141

I really fell in love with all the old Halloween stuff about 10 years ago. I would pick up these old paper pumpkins when I found them, but they had to be pretty cheap. Hey, I love Halloween, but there is only so much money I can spend.  I would estimate these are all from around the 1950’s. The paper mache pumpkins were meant to be lit with a real candle inside, so you can imagine what a nightmare that was. Oops, we now have a flaming pumpkin. I have seen many of these with huge scorch marks on them, I am sure many were reduced to ash. As you can see the one on the front right is actually a cat. They also had many other paper mache decorations such as a devil head and a smaller cat head. All the pumpkins/decorations usually came with paper faces that were glued on to the inside. I have seen many pumpkins without the faces, and I can only imagine what their fate was at the hands of the mean old candle. I use the tea light battery operated candles in these pumpkins and it works really well.

Here is a picture of the pumpkins with all the lights on.

My last picture is of some glass Halloween ornaments I bought from Target on clearance after Halloween. I bought these all the way back in 2001 for 75% off. So, they were probably like a dollar each. They really reminded me of all the old style blown glass Christmas ornaments from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I should say they are not really actual tree ornaments because they stand on their own and have no hangers on the top. The glass is really thin and fragile and I am surprised they made it through all the Target markdowns!

So there you go, some of my favorite Halloween items! I hope y’all enjoyed. Have a GREAT Halloween everyone.

8 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Happy Halloween Y’all

1. Annie B. Reply

October 20, 2009 at 9:10 am

Happy Vintage Halloween to you, too, Sara. Thanks for sharing the Great
    Pumpkins (sorry, I just had to do that!).

Great to meet another native Tennessean! See y’all later!

October 20, 2009 at 12:36 pm

He He Annie! Glad you enjoyed the pumpkins.

I was actually born in Wisconsin, and we moved to Cookeville right after I finished kindergarten. I guess some words have stayed with me no matter where I live though! I’m fixin’ to get some housework done now! 🙂

October 20, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Great Goblins and Ghosts! Terrific post, Sara! Never crossed my mind about a MCM Hallowween!!!!!!

4. Eartha /Kelly Reply

October 20, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’m fixin’ to shriek because those Halloween decorations are so cool! Vintage Halloween stuff is SO desired by collectors – it’s truly a thrill when something is within a comfortable price range. It’s definitely a harder hunt than looking for the vintage Christmas stuff.

And let’s hear it for Tennessee! I came from S.C. to Tennessee so I have never had to try and hold back my y’all-ing – well, unless I go outside of the South and people keep saying, “What ARE you saying anyway?” : )

Happy Halloween-ish Y’all!

October 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Thanks so much Sable! Now you will have to hunt out some vintage Halloween goodies for your own MCM pad.

October 20, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Kelly – Thank you girl! I cannot believe what some dealers are asking for the vintage Halloween stuff these days, hundreds of dollars! EEPS! When I see something that is reasonable I have to try to get it, esp. if it is good shape. One example, I saw the exact same flat pumpkin (in my pic above on the left) for sale a few weeks ago in horrible condition with all the paper in shreads for like $175. I paid around $30-$40 for mine.

Hooray for Tennessee! I had a huge southern accent from living in Tennessee and Texas until the 9th grade. Then it just slowly faded away after I moved to Az. I still say Y’all and fixin’ (and probably other stuff too) and sometimes I realize people here in Az will look at me with a raised eyebrow and a crooked head like “Lady, where do you think you are?” 😉

I HAVE got to make it to that Longest Yard Sale …..someday……..You are totally close and I am waaaaaay jealous!

7. Alex Reply

October 21, 2009 at 9:43 am

Well, bless ya’lls hearts, hons. 😉 I’m Southern, as well. Who’d a thunk it? Those are some great decorations. I’ve never seen any MCM Halloween decorations. Thanks!

October 21, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Alex – Well I’m fixin’ to send a great big “Thanks” your way y’all! 🙂 I actually have a soft spot in my heart for the south, I did really like living there. It was a somewhat awkward adjustment going from a small town in Texas to Phoenix!!! I’m glad you like the decorations. I found a lot in Texas, maybe you could find some where you are too.