Home » Decorating & Home » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Ranch Painting Ideas – Spring Is Right Around The Corner!

October 13, 2009

It’s time for another Tuesday’s Retro Guest Post!  I love this, and this one is no exception.  Our retro guest poster this week is Jan, and she has some great painting ideas for your brick ranch!

Okay, so we’re barely into Fall, but, it’s never too early to make a To-Do List for Spring projects!  Besides, I’m a Gemini and I change my mind a lot, so I need the extra time!

My Spring Project for 2010?  Paint the trim on my 1955 brick ranch.

I’ve “painted” a few retro colors on my home at the Behr.com Color Visualizer (ignore my attempts to stay within the lines).  The colors are based upon memories  of what I saw painted on the trim of brick homes back in the early Sixties; aquas, corals, browns and light greens and yellows.

My ranch with traditional white trim.  It’s okay, but the two brick ranches across the street and the brick ranch to the north of me (brick color is exactly the same) all have white trim.

The first color is Aqua Spray, then…

Coral Dune

Key Lime (which looks more like celery green)

Lemon Pound Cake (don’t you love these names?)

And South Kingston Brown

So,my fellow MCM fanatics, what color makes you gasp and call for smelling salts?  If your favorite color isn’t shown here, tell me what it is.  I’m open to all suggestions!

PS-the roof color is very close to the brick color.

12 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Ranch Painting Ideas – Spring Is Right Around The Corner!

1. Linda Reply

October 13, 2009 at 8:55 am

Coral Dune!!! Without a doubt!! PS: am new here and LOVE your blog!! You rock!!

2. Leah Reply

October 13, 2009 at 8:56 am

oohh…we have some in the neighborhood with aqua trim. My favorite is Lemon Poundcake..yum 🙂

3. Paulette Reply

October 13, 2009 at 9:28 am

Your house looks almost exactly like the one my husband grew up in. It had white trim too. There were a lot of MCM-type houses in that neighborhood. About an equal number had brown trim, but by the time I had met him, it was the early ’80s, so I don’t know if they had painted over something else. I had to chuckle because the other colors you picked were on the inside of the hubs’ old house…one bathroom was coral, the other yellow, the living room was sort of a celery green. Anyway, I actually like the white trim, but I do like coral dune as well.

October 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, wasn’t there something mentioned about Key Lime in my post last week???? 🙂 Too funny! I love all those colors, but I think the Aqua Spray looks fantastico on your pad Sable!

5. Angela Reply

October 13, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Key Lime! I love the contrast between the celery green and your beigey brown brick.

6. Kelly Reply

October 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Oh fun! I am all about Aqua Spray. It looks fantastic with the brick color and is very “period”. : )

7. Alex Reply

October 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Aqua Spray all the way!

October 13, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Aqua Spray! to me, nothing says MCM like an aqua colour. Looks to go really well with that shade of brick, too.

Plus I am biased as it is one of my favourite colours.

9. Mary-Frances Main Reply

October 14, 2009 at 9:03 am

I like the aqua spray and the key lime. Ok, getting hungry and dying to test these on our home!

October 14, 2009 at 9:54 am

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! LOVE the post!

I have to admit I am going against the tide of Aqua Spray here and voting for Coral Dune. I think it is the best one. BUT I must say that Tom and I are going to use a color very similar to South Kingston Brown on our house to cover up all the purple on the outside. We are also going to use Sherwin Williams Sycamore Tan and Caribbean Coral as the accent color.

October 14, 2009 at 10:25 am

Wow! Thank you all for participating in my color challenge! I really do appreciate your input, Mid-Century Moderneers!

Looks like Aqua Spray is a big fave and yes, it is a very MCM period color,but, you’ll all have to wait until the unveiling in Spring to see which color I chose.

12. Roxanne Reply

October 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm

South Kingston Brown for me. The others just seemed “in your face” or something. When I got to the brown, it looked like a finished house. It gave it some depth.

Just my .02!