November 19, 2009Mid-Century Bathroom Renovations – Regrouting and Repairing Our Pink Tile
Since my parents are coming to spend Thanksgiving with us, Tom and I decided this past weekend that we had better fix up the pink bathroom. The state of the floor tile has been getting steadily worse since we moved in, and we really wanted to take care of it before it took any more damage. As you can see, it wasn’t doing well at all.
Luckily, we had the missing piece from the left corner where you can see the adhesive underneath. It is out for this picture because we had the people at Sherwin Williams mix up some matching paint for it. I read somewhere that after you fix a crack in tile you can paint it with a matching paint to blend it in. I am not sure if it is going to work, but since we don’t have the option of replacing tiles, we are going to have to try it.
As you can see here, the ground around the edge of the floor is gone. Some of the bathroom already looked like this, and Tom and I took the rest out with a utility knife and a Dremel tool loaned to us by a friend.
We were originally going to take out the grout on the entire floor, but it isn’t in that bad of shape so we decided to just do the corners before my parents came to visit and save the bulk of the project for later in the winter. You know, when it is freezing cold and snowing and we don’t have anything to do anyway? Ah, I love Michigan.
Here is Tom grouting around the edge of the floor. We ultimately decided on gray because is was the original color of the floor grout. Unfortunately, the gray we chose had a little bit more blue in it than the original, but Tom told me to stop obsessing about it and get to work, so I decided it wasn’t that big of a deal. 🙂
Here it is with the new line of grout around the edge. I am happy with it, it doesn’t stick out like I thought it would, and hopefully it will protect the tiles against the wall a little better.
After that we gathered up all the pieces of the damaged tile and glued them together as best we could. It was a pain in the butt, and there was quite a bit of swearing involved. Some of the pieces just wouldn’t go in, or wanted to break into smaller pieces and get Tom in trouble.
“What do you mean, it broke? I have been nursing and coddling that thing for weeks to keep it together!”
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, it just broke!”
“Here, just get out of the way and let me do it.”
“No way, I don’t want you to go all Gilda Radner on me and get stuck to everything.”
(For those of you who haven’t seen that episode of the Muppet Show, Gilda goes to Muppet Labs and gets stuck to everything sight with Bunson and Beakers experimental adhesive. It is one of Tom’s favorite episodes.)
In the end, we got it all down and patched up.
Not the greatest, I know, but at least it is all cemented down and stable. I am hoping the color-matched paint will cover up the glue and the grout well enough that you won’t be able to tell unless you look really close. We have to wait until the grout cures before painting it, so stay tuned to see the final result. Here’s hoping!!!
Oh, and here is Gilda’s final number from the Muppet Show, when she is all glued up. God, sometimes I love YouTube!