Home » Decorating & Home » New Mid-Century Dishes – Mikasa Elite Calibou

November 16, 2009

New Mid-Century Dishes – Mikasa Elite Calibou

Dishes 001Check out the fabulous new dishes!!  Tom and I got these from my parents for our anniversary which is coming up on Thanksgiving Day.

They say on the bottom: Mikasa Elite Narumi Calibou. From what I can find out, this is from the time when Mikasa was primarily an importer.  This pattern was produced by the Narumi company in Japan and imported into the United States in the 1960’s.   My parents picked up this set for $25 at a flea market this summer.  My mom said she bought it for two reasons, the first because it is blue, but the second reason was that she couldn’t walk away from the salt and pepper shakers.  I can’t blame her, they are pretty fabulous and I am very excited about the gift.  They aren’t exactly the same blue as my kitchen, but I still LOVE them and the pattern. Oh, and my parents! 🙂

Dishes 009

Dishes 010

Dishes 008

Dishes 006

Dishes 005

Dishes 003

10 Responses to New Mid-Century Dishes – Mikasa Elite Calibou

November 16, 2009 at 11:38 am

Those dishes are super cool Ruth! What a great deal for only $25!!! Wow, Happy (almost) Anniversary too! So, how long have you 2 kids been married now??? That is so cool that you actually got married on Thanksgiving. Was there any reason, in particular, you decided on that day? Just Curious.

2. Barbara Reply

November 16, 2009 at 11:49 am

Wow, you have parents that actually acknowledge your collecting fever AND have excellent taste? You’re so lucky! I’m jealous!

3. 50s Pam Reply

November 16, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Great dishes!

4. Annie B. Reply

November 16, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Oh, what wonderful dishes! Love the pattern; love the color. Congrats on the acquisition and the upcoming anniversary! Will you be using the dishes for your Thanksgiving dinner?? Got a retro menu planned for the meal?

November 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Those dishes are gorgeous! And what a great deal for $25, wow, your parents got quite the steal.

November 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Thanks, guys!!! I am glad you all like them, I pulled them out of the box at my parents’ house and fell in love.

Sara – It is going to be our first anniversary! I am pretty excited. We kinda decided to get married last minute this time last year, and so we did it when all of our parents were visiting. 🙂

Annie – I am totally planning on using them for Thanksgiving dinner. My parents are coming up to spend Thanksgiving with us, so I thought it would be a good time to use them!

November 16, 2009 at 6:50 pm

OMG, That is soooooo cool, your 1st anniversary! I never realized you had been married less than a year! I will have to get the scoop on your whole last minute wedding sometime – it sounds awesome and totally romantic! 🙂

8. Paulette Reply

November 17, 2009 at 9:11 am

Happy upcoming anniversary! Wow, your first one–that’s pretty special! Love the dishes. I wanna come to your house for Thanksgiving! 🙂

9. Maggie Reply

November 18, 2009 at 11:57 am

Best anniversary wishes to you and Tom, Ruth!

Those exact shades of blue and green on the Mikasa dishes are soooo ’60s, and would make a wonderful color scheme for any retro room — esp. a kitchen, or pillow pairs in a living room. Love ’em!

I recently thrifted a nice set of Mikasa ‘Del Rio’ soup bowls, also made in Japan, that have a mod squares design on them in that same shade of blue. I never looked much at vintage Mikasa before, being mostly focussed on Franciscan, but they made some swell midcentury patterns.

10. Mike Reply

June 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm

totally jealous – I pick up a piece at a time in different colors and never ever have seen anything close to a whole set – except the 5 yellow and white bowls I found and St V recently. enjoy them