Home » Decade » 1950 » Recent Thrifting Finds – Vintage Board Games

November 13, 2009

Recent Thrifting Finds – Vintage Board Games

Embroidery and Thrifting 013I haven’t been posting as many of my great vintage finds as I should be, so I thought I would remedy that with this post.

I have been addicted to vintage boardgames lately, and not just the classic ones.  The ones I really like are the ones that aren’t around anymore.

Here is one that Tom and I picked up at an estate sale.  Probe is a word game kind of like hangman, except it looks a little easier.  We haven’t tried this out yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I got lucky the other day and came across a whole bunch of games at Goodwill the other day when I was out looking for records.

Embroidery and Thrifting 006

Embroidery and Thrifting 007

I have never played Go To The Head of the Class and I know it is still available new, but I couldn’t say no to the cute 1950’s game pieces. The Skittle Bowl game is really fun, we set it up and played it the other night.  Haven’t tried out the other two yet, but I am excited.  And they were all a good deal, between $2 and $3 each!

6 Responses to Recent Thrifting Finds – Vintage Board Games

1. Barbara Reply

November 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

Skittle and KerPlunk!! Wow, did you score or what!! I’m so jealous!

2. Annie B. Reply

November 13, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Your recent thrifting finds are my favorite posts! I’m an avowed thriftaholic, and proud of it. It’s the “thrill of the hunt” for mid-mod treasures that keeps me going.

Your vintage board games are a hoot! Lots of cold winter night fun for so little money, and they’re authentic retro. They bring back memories.

November 13, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Wow, what a great score! You’re better off buying the original ones, if it’s a game that you know and love, anyway.

My brother and I used to have an edition of the game Payday that I think was from the 60s or the 70s, my mom had got it at a garage sale. When my daughter got to the age that she was getting into board games, I went out and bought Payday. Not the same game at all any more! They totally “updated” it, and it wasn’t nearly as fun.

I’ve been trying to find that old version since, but no luck.

4. Barbara Reply

November 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

November 14, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Ah hah! That is the one! I am still hoping that I stumble across it at a garage sale or something, but I may have to cave and buy one off of eBay. Thanks, Barbara!

6. Mary Reply