Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Vintage Travel Trailers and Mobile Homes Showcase

November 24, 2009

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Vintage Travel Trailers and Mobile Homes Showcase

Thanks for the great post, Jan.  I LOVE the pictures!  Hmm…maybe I can talk Tom into buying a vintage trailer, do you think it will work??

Remember the movie The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz?  They buy this fabulous mobile home trailer and tow it across America.    The movie was made in 1954 and the trailer was a Redman, manufactured in Alma, Michigan.  Some of those trailers were quite expensive and quite chic in decor.

Whether hitched to a tow vehicle or parked in a trailer park, this is mid-century modern on wheels! Images courtesy of Juergen Eichermueller, Architect, www.allmanufacturedhomes.com .

9 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Vintage Travel Trailers and Mobile Homes Showcase

November 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Very cool post! That is really neat seeing all the old MCM trailer ads. The Long, Long Trailer Movie was hilarious. Good Job girl! 🙂

November 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I tried showing only those trailers that had floor plans, as I know how much you adore floor plans, LOL!

November 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm

It is really cool seeing all the floor plans Sable! Thanks! Maybe I can talk Mike into the Airfloat Flagship with the blonde/mahogany interiors, sounds pretty impressive. When Mike’ s parents were first married they lived in a trailer, and she was telling me how the kitchen was all pink! Too cool!

4. Alex Reply

November 24, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I love these. I’ve always wanted a vintage teardrop trailer.

5. Leah Reply

November 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I want one!

6. Dawn Pekel Reply

August 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi – Nice to see your website. We have a 1956 Marathon 42′ mobile home and a 50’s something Tour-A-Home mobile home.
    Do you have any literature on these two? I have been looking a bit and haven’t found much yet. I know the Marathon was build in Stratford, WI by Har-Mac, Inc. Called the town and they were in business from 1954-’62 and then went out of business. That is all I know about that one. and the Tour-A-Home was built in Flint, MI and that is all I know about that one.

Thanks for any info…

• Anonymous Reply

June 10, 2015 at 2:47 am

Hello Dawn-
      My parent’s had a 50’s Marathon 42 foot trailer we lived in since my father was in the Air Force going thru pilot training. That is great that you have one.
      Would you happen to have any pictures of your trailer?
      I was 5 years old when my parents sold their’s.
      As I understand it, these were made in Marathon, Wisconsin.
      Kind regards and thanks.
      Mark R

7. Juergen Eichermueller Reply

September 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

I have a large Har-Mac archive with original brochures from 1956. You can contact me at my website at: http://www.allmanfacturedhomes.com.

8. Lee Asch Reply

May 8, 2014 at 5:46 am

I loved looking at the vintage trailer ads. I live in a STAR, which was manufactured by Midstate. I’ve been here for 2 years. Once you are inside, it seems a lot bigger than it looks from the outside. I fixed it up, it was in poor shape when I moved in. I am living here rent free as long as I am fixing the place up. I just built a deck. I never in my life thought I would end up living in one of these. I thought it was a ‘redneck’ thing. Now this ‘city girl’ never wants to leave !!!