Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara LOVES Goodwill!!!!

November 17, 2009

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara LOVES Goodwill!!!!

Thanks to Sara for this great guest post.  Gotta give the love to Goodwill!

OK, I admit I have been obsessing over Goodwill lately. There are 3 Goodwills really close by my house, and it seems like I am ALWAYS going in there and trying to find a new kitschy goody. And Sale Day Saturdays, well just try to keep me away!  🙂

My first find was a 50s/60s magazine rack. As you can see, I already have it loaded up with my old Ladies Home Journals from the 1950s. I love the look of these old magazine racks, and there are SO many different varieties. They are really useful too – especially if you have a bunch of old Ladies Home Journals laying around! This rack was $3.99.

100_2049

Next up, a FAB pair of Mermaids Mike found for me! I am totally in love with ceramic mermaids and fish from the 50s/60s. If I can find them cheap I will definitely pick them up. I *somehow* managed to walk right by these mermaids, and then Mike walks up to me with them in his hand – I felt like a dork! But, I was so glad he had spotted them. Maybe it was the madness of Sale Day Saturday that caused me to miss them – who knows. Anyway, since it was sale day, the mermaids were only $2.50 for the pair.

100_2047

Next up is a cool McCoy Pot my Mom actually bought. I know McCoy is pretty collectible, so we definitely thought $9.99 was a fair price for this Pot. It is really big, about 10 inches tall, and it is a cool turquoise green color. I love the design on the pot too.

100_2210

I found these really cool 1960s kitchen towels for 60 cents each. They seriously do not look like they have ever been used or washed. How could I pass these up???

blog pic

blogpic

And, lastly, the funky and kitschy wall art I found. I know it looks like a tile mosaic, but it is actually one big giant piece of chalkware. It is SOOOOO heavy too – it probably weighs 15 lbs, maybe more. I thought it was really cool. It kind of reminds me of New Orleans/Mardi Gras. This was purchased on Sale Day Saturday for $4!

100_2103

Has anyone else gotten the Goodwill bug – Ruth, Sable? Does anyone have any great finds they would like to share with the rest of us. We all would love to hear about it.

17 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara LOVES Goodwill!!!!

1. Paulette Reply

November 17, 2009 at 9:04 am

OMG, I love everything you bought! I am especially swooning over the McCoy pot and dish towels. Have a few McCoy flower pots myself and $9.99 is an excellent price.

I don’t have a blog I can link to and show you the two cool little things I picked up at the thrift store yesterday, but I’ll try to describe them. One is a little aluminum coffee maker with a glass bubble percolator top. It looks like it perks maybe only one or two cups but is so cute. Last night, DH put a little battery operated bike tire light under the glass bubble, so when you tap the top, it blinks! We are so easily entertained… The other thing I picked up was a ’50s Ansco box camera. It just looked so cool and retro, I had to have it to add to my shelf. Also passed up a Singer 301 in a blonde wood cabinet. I’m still pondering that one. I may go back for it today!

2. Alex Reply

November 17, 2009 at 9:31 am

I haven’t cruised our Goodwills in awhile, but now I’m inspired.

November 17, 2009 at 10:05 am

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Great post, girl! Love the mag rack with the LHJ circa 1950s!

That chalkware picture is the bomb!

You are the Goodwill/Estate Sale maven!

4. Annie B. Reply

November 17, 2009 at 10:45 am

That’s it! I’m moving to Arizona. THREE Goodwills close to your house, Sara? That is not fair; I have to drive thirty miles just to reach the nearest one. Your weekend finds are outrageously cool! Everything is just fabulous!

Goodwills and other charity, etc. sponsored thrift stores are such win-win things: you get to own a mid-mod trophy for a terrific price and the money you paid for it goes to support a good cause. What’s not to love?

Congrats on some really cool loot! That chalkware wall art knocks me out (and literally could at 15 pounds!).

5. Barbara Reply

November 17, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Oh wow oh wow oh wow!! The town I live in now never has any cool stuff like that. When I lived in Los Angeles, I could find cool stuff. I so miss it!!

I collect old magazines (LHJ, McCalls, Better Homes and Gardens), so if you ever get tired of the magazines, give me a shout and I’ll buy them from you!

6. Lacie Reply

November 17, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Just found your site today when @goodwillintl tweeted your link. I love your site. I have recently become a lover of Goodwill….just wish I had more time and one closer 🙂

7. rebeque Reply

November 17, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I would die if I found anything that nice (my sister owns that McCoy pot!) on the shelves at my nearest Goodwill. They seem to have shifted to having a lot of new stock. However, I have been having fun browsing their auction site, shopgoodwill.com. Anybody else doing that?

November 17, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Thanks y’all for all of the great comments, I really do appreciate it!

Paulette – My Mom was transfixed by that McCoy pot. I was running off to look at some other stuff and she was just standing there looking at this pot, she would not budge until I came to look at it. It was pretty funny. I figured if she liked it that much we definitely had to get it. 🙂 Your coffee maker and camera sound completely awesome! One of my Goodwills also had a 50s blonde sewing table/cabinet only (no machine), but it was pretty beat up and scratched. I guess I thought about it too long though, because it sold pretty quickly! Maybe you should go back for your sewing machine/cabinet, it sounds great!

Alex – Definitely check out as many Goodwills and Thrift Stores that you can, you will be amazed at what you can find with just a little digging and patience. Sometime I go and I don’t find anything at all, but when you walk in and find that one treasure it makes it all worth it. You will be amazed at what people give away.

Sable – Thanks Girl! I really do love that chalkware picture too. We have got to get you to some Goodwills and Estate Sales now!!!

Annie B. – Thanks! I really love everything too. It is really CRAZY how many Goodwills there are around here. I just pull out onto the main street, right outside my neighborhood, and go 2 miles to the east and there is one, or go 2 miles to the west and there is another one; and the other one is like 4 miles to the south. If I spread out a little further there are like another 3 I could go to – I think we have around 10 – 15 in the Phoenix area. Definitely move to Phoenix, we have a TON of thrift stores around here. I totally agree about going to thrift stores too, I love to get something at a really great price and know that I am also helping a great cause.

Barbara – I’ll bet you found some GREAT stuff in LA! You never know, some cool stuff could turn up in your new town sometime. Maybe??? I do actually have a few extra LHJ’s I was going to sell, I think there are 5 maybe. Let me dig them up and I will let you know. By the way, I tried to look on your MM Sterling Cooper site but all I got was this message:

Sorry, this group is available to members ONLY.
    You are not allowed to access this group.

No way to contact you or anything. Just wanted to let you know.

Lacie – This is actually Ruth’s Blog, I just do a guest post for her every other week. Goodwills are the best though!

Rebeque – I have noticed a few of the Goodwills I go to putting new things out for sale – like stuff from Joann. But it is still a total mish-mash of old and new stuff. I have looked on the Goodwill online auction site, and they have some really cool stuff. I have fun looking as well, though I have not bought anything yet.

Thanks again everyone!

November 17, 2009 at 2:13 pm

That magazine rack is absolutely awesome! Great finds, all of them, but I love the rack.

10. Barbara Reply

November 17, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Sara: Our members wanted it to become “invite only”. Email me at imzabadu at g mail dot com and I’ll send you an invite.

Email me there about the magazines too!! I did find great stuff in L.A., but I’d give my eye teeth to go to Michigan!!

Thanks!

November 17, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Andrea! It would seem that I have a thing for old magazine racks, I have 3 other ones that I picked up from various Estate Sales/Thrift Stores in the past!

November 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Sara!!

I am the last one to comment, but this is a fantastic post. Your finds are amazing, and I thought the stuff I find is good. Those mermaids take the cake though. Wow!!! The magazine rack is awesome, too.

Hi to all our regular visitors and double hi to the new ones! I am happy that you could find the blog with such a great post. Well done, Sara!

November 17, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Ruth!!!! Thanks so very much! The stuff you find is FAB girl, what are you talking about. I am so happy you like the mermaids. I super-duper love all those old ceramic mermaids and fish, they made some fantastically cute ones back then!

14. Amy Reply

November 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

oh my goodness, i have the same magazine rack 🙂

November 19, 2009 at 1:51 am

Where did you find your magazine rack Amy?????

16. Lara Reply

November 19, 2009 at 9:51 am

Love these finds and your blog! I have set of those mermaids unpainted and also a set of cups my Great Aunt painted in the 50’s that I treasure. I have a post with pics on my blog here:

November 19, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Those cups are super awesome Lara!!!