Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Great Classic Movies With Great Clothing!

December 24, 2009

Great Classic Movies With Great Clothing!

Thanks again to Jan for this great post!!!  I just love the clothes in this post! I am swooning!

The movie Niagara starred our favorite MCM blonde, Marilyn Monroe here striking a pose against the backdrop of the falls.  Love, love her blue suit and her strappy white heels!

NIAGARAMONROEBLUESUIT

The film was made in 1953 and Monroe’s character was a vixen, married to Joseph Cotten while playing footsy with another guy.  A great suspense film, some wonderful clothing are shown as well as the scenery.  In one scene, Monroe is wearing this hot pink dress, heels (love!) and gold hoop earrings!

NIAGARACOTTENMONROE

North By Northwest.  Cary Grant is simply smashing in his gray suits and socks!  The house that Grant’s character is scaling is an actual Frank Lloyd Wright home.

NORTHBYNORTHWEST1959

The film was made in 1959 and shows some wonderful scenery of Mount Rushmore.  This still was taken inside a restaurant nearby where Hitchcock used the  tourists as extras.  Love Eva Marie Saint’s gray outfit, especially her hat!

NORTHBYNORTHWESTGUN

Rear Window.  This 1954 classic movie starred Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly.  Grace is wearing a suit designed by Edith Head and the color was chosen by Alfred Hitchcock.  I believe the color was called celery.  When Grace removes the jacket, her white blouse is-a halter!   How about that white pillbox hat with veil?  To die for!

REARWINDOWSUIT

Edith Head also designed the nightgown shown here.  In Edith’s book, The Dress Doctor, Grace Kelly was to have said at the try-on, “Why, I look like a peach parfait!”

REARWINDOWNIGHTGOWN

For more fantastic MCM clothing and lifestyle, see An Affair To Remember, Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows and Imitation Of Life

Happy Watching!

6 Responses to Great Classic Movies With Great Clothing!

1. Alex Reply

December 24, 2009 at 10:20 am

Love those suits!

December 24, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Sableeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Really great outfits! I REALLY love all those old clothes. I remember there was a white ball gown type dress with black detailing, that Grace Kelly wore in Rear Window, that I absolutely fell in love with. Great post!

PS – I saw that crash on I-10, really creepy. A huge dust storm came up and no one could see a thing. It was just south of Phoenix, about 30 miles from where I live.

December 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Yikes on the crash! I guess there were a few fatalities. Sad.

I know exactly the gown you’re talking about! The top was in black velvet, scoop neck (I think) and short-sleeved. The skirt was white, that fluffy stuff. Clothes were clothes back then! If I find the movie still, I’ll email it to you!

4. Maggie Reply

December 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Double ditto on the Grace Kelly outfits in Rear Window — possibly my all-time favorite midcentury clothes on film.

However, I believe you’re mistaken about the FL Wright provenance of the house in ‘North by Northwest’. I learned recently, to my great surprise, that the gorgeous house never existed at all — it was all created on soundstages in Hollywood.

I can’t recall whether I learned that in a publication by a film historian or in a film documentary about Hitchcock. I’ll try to dig up the source and post it here.

5. Maggie Reply

December 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm

About the NBNwest house:

I first heard that it was just a model in a PBS documentary about Mount Rushmore… more info here:

And then I read more about it in a very good article which would be of interest to any film buff or MCM enthusiast, by Sandy McLendon on JetSet Modern:

December 25, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info, Maggie! I was certain that I had read that the house was an actual FLW years ago, so I should have re-checked before writing that.