Home » Decade » 1970 » My Parent’s “New” 1970’s Time Capsule Vacation Home

December 13, 2009

My Parent’s “New” 1970’s Time Capsule Vacation Home

As I mentioned in my previous post about the Woods Cafe, my parents recently bought a little house on a lake in Woodruff, Wisconsin in a retirement community.  I was really excited for them because they have been wanting to move up there for years, but also because the place was built in the early 1970’s and has never been updated.

“You will love it!”  my mom squealed over the phone, “there is even a yellow toilet in the bathroom!”

“Really?  Sounds awesome.  Take some pictures for me.”

“I will.  But your father wants to take them out.”

“No way!  Tell him no.”

I could hear my mom, muffled, as she turned to talk to my dad. “She says you can’t take out the toilet,” and a quiet, “Oh crap,” in the background.

My mom came back on the phone.  “Your father said ‘Oh, crap’.”

I rolled my eyes.  “Yeah, Mom.  I heard him.”

But I think my dad is starting to warm up to the yellow fixtures.  He even found a yellow toilet seat to replace the white one that was on their when they bought the place, so I think I might have him convinced!

Trailer and Pin-ups 001

Trailer and Pin-ups 007

Trailer and Pin-ups 005

Trailer and Pin-ups 002

Trailer and Pin-ups 003

Trailer and Pin-ups 010

Trailer and Pin-ups 004

10 Responses to My Parent’s “New” 1970’s Time Capsule Vacation Home

1. Paulette Reply

December 13, 2009 at 11:05 am

Cute house! I think I’d want to spend a lot of time on the screened porch. The table and chairs are awesome, and what a great view!

2. Gaela Reply

December 13, 2009 at 11:55 am

Oh my gosh! I love all the yellow! and I’m nuts about that cool shelf above the bathroom sink!

December 13, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Oh, I AM swooning over this pad! Good going, Dad, by not removing the yellow toilet!!!!!!!!!!

I see the house has built-ins! Yippee-skippee!!!!!!!!!!

4. 50s Pam Reply

December 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

you know I like it!

December 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm

That screened porch/sunroom area is to die for! Is that a hanging light fixture over the kitchen sink?

December 13, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Thank God you saved the yellow toilet Ruth! The yellow MUST stay! Hooray! That is a really cool pad.

7. Barbara Reply

December 14, 2009 at 11:43 am

How cool! Is that tile in the bath or vinyl? Oh, and since I grew up in that era – it’s “Harvest Gold”, not yellow!!

Where on earth did he find a yellow toilet seat??

8. Annie B. Reply

December 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm

What a great place! That’s one heck of a dinette set on the porch. Wonderful view from that porch, too. Congrats to Mom and Dad.

December 14, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Thanks, everyone!

Yup Andrea, that is a wooden light fixture over the sink that looks like an oxen yoke. That was one thing my dad couldn’t stand, so I snatched it when he pulled it out. I am the proud owner of it right now, so if anyone wants it, let me know!

Barbara – The bath is vinyl that is made up to look like tile. My Dad thinks it is hideous, but I think I have him talked into keeping it for now. Oh, and he found a matching toliet seat at the Menards in Janesville, WI. There must be a lot of old bathrooms around there, because my mom said they had yellow, blue AND pink. Wow.

10. Barbara Reply

December 14, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Remind me to contact you whenever I need old parts!! I have a 1970s light yellow Montgomery Wards stove. When I get a new one (even though this one still works well), you guys will be the first to know – you seem to have a network to farm this stuff out (and pick it up)!!