Home » Decade » 1950 » Save A Blue Bathroom – Mid-Century Bathroom in MI Scheduled For Demo

December 17, 2009

Save A Blue Bathroom – Mid-Century Bathroom in MI Scheduled For Demo

Check out this GORGEOUS blue bathroom scheduled for demo after Christmas.  Too bad, but hopefully someone can rescue the fixtures!  Check out that amazing sink,  a work of art!

I already spoke with the contractor, and I am going to scoop up any tile from the bathroom demo that is still useable. Cross your fingers for me, because I may get enough to do our downstairs bathroom floor!

12 Responses to Save A Blue Bathroom – Mid-Century Bathroom in MI Scheduled For Demo

1. Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese Reply

December 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

So sad to see another mid-cent bathroom bite the dust. But I’m thrilled that you’re salvaging the tile. I’ll bet you can sell the sink on Craigslist or eBay too. It is fabulous, I’ve never seen one quite like it!

2. Annie B. Reply

December 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

I’ll have a blue Christmas just thinking about the demise of this bathroom!
    That is the most glorious sink ever I do hope you can bring home lots of that wonderful tile!

3. Barbara Reply

December 17, 2009 at 11:47 am

Good luck! Try to get the toilet paper holder too! Maybe they can lift the whole sink/tile thing out in one piece and give it to you!

4. Jane @ the Borrowed Abode Reply

December 17, 2009 at 12:19 pm

That is so sad! Sigh.

December 17, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Is that possibly a Crane Criterion sink??? That is really to bad they are demoing that bathroom. I do not even want to imagine what the rest of the house is like – or what is being done to it. 🙁 Hope you can use all that blue tile!

December 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Man! I don’t know why anyone would want to demo that! I would utterly love blue fixtures like that for my bathroom! Good luck in getting enough tile!

7. Kelly Reply

December 18, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Fingers crossed! So beautiful! I love the shape of that sink.

8. brenda Reply

January 12, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I just finished a demo of my blue 1960s bathroom. Tub had to be demo to take out. However, I have the toilet and sink are intact and in nice condition (American Standard). I also salvaged the the toilet paper holder, 2 towel bars and a soap holder. And a lot of wall tile. If anyone is interested, they are located in MA. contact me at bdean@cox.net

January 12, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Hey Brenda –

Sorry to hear that you didn’t like your blue bathroom, but you came to the right place to find it a good home. Email me some pics of what you have and we will try to place your fixtures! nopatternrequired at hotmail.com.

10. carole Reply

April 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

We live in an early 70s Ranch, and lets face it, later Ranch homes lost a lot of the charm that the earlier homes had.

Corners were cut ~ 40s/50s vs 70s….Where there had been tile was now fiberglass and laminate. Wood, cork, and vinyl flooring was carpet (with nothing more than a particle board subfloor beneath). Banks of windows turned in to one large (and in our case ~ UGLY) picture window. Large kitchens where the family could gather turned into a galley so small one person could hardly maneuver (we’ve remedied that). The large patio was replaced with a tiny deck that made no sense at all.

Our main bath has no tile, but it does have blue fixtures. Ugly blue fixtures. I can only describe it as 70s blue.

Much as I’m for salvage/remodeling/decorating to suit a homes original character, I have to be honest, I can’t see myself living with that blue long term. It’s ugly, and it’s depressing. Ten years of living with it for me is quite enough.

I apologize to those of you who like it, but if you saw this blue, and this bathroom, I have faith that you wouldn’t boo me. lol

We will give the fixtures to a local company that sells vintage pieces, so they won’t go into a landfill, but I can’t wait to see them gone.

11. Reno Wizards Reply

May 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm

We recently renovated another mid-cent bathroom which looked exactly like this one. Interesting to know that Australia and the States had similar designs in 60s &70s.

12. annmarie Reply

July 31, 2013 at 3:39 am

i just had a pink and blue bathroom i redid not buy taking out tile by painting i used blue paint i wish the toilet was not white and the tub but ill be happy to help change somones mind about these bathrooms the reason they look bad is because the original tub etc colors are not put back in any sites to look at blue bathrooms fixed to look nicw