Home » Decade » 1960 » The Laurium Manor Inn And a 1960’s Kitchen

December 4, 2009

The Laurium Manor Inn And a 1960’s Kitchen

So, it is time that I start posting about some of the stuff Tom and I have been doing this fall!  During our trip to the UP,  Tom and I went to the Keweenaw Peninsula and stayed at the Laurium Manor Inn.   Well, actually we stayed at the Victorian Hall B&B, which is part of the Laurium Manor Inn’s little group of houses they have in their bed and breakfast empire.  The houses are all really, really cool with tons of great period detail.  Unfortunately, the period they are in is Victorian, which doesn’t really work for this blog, but it is still spectacular to stay there even if the renovations are ongoing and everything isn’t quite restored yet.  One of the most unique parts of the house, which I can’t resist showing here, is the ELEPHANT HIDE wallpaper from the dining room in the Laurium Inn.

IMG_8466

Creepy, huh?  It was up in the dining room, so I had plenty of time to study it while we were eating breakfast. Bleh.

Anyway, the Laurium Inn was all Victorian, but the Victorian Hall had one section that didn’t fit in.  The kitchen had been redone in the 1960’s, and the owners hadn’t had time to refurbish it yet so Tom and I got to see it in its 1960’s glory.

IMG_8446

Nice cabinets, don’t you think?  The hardware is unfortunate, but they were going for Victorian, so I will cut them some slack.

IMG_8448

Original wall oven.  Does anyone know they exact date of this color??

IMG_8450

IMG_8451

The original stove, for a period touch in the kitchen.

IMG_8447

IMG_8452

And here is an Art Deco light that was in the Butler’s Pantry.  I ADORED this, so I had to include a picture.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!!

8 Responses to The Laurium Manor Inn And a 1960’s Kitchen

December 4, 2009 at 11:57 am

That is AMAZING that this house was built for $50,000 in 1908!!! It is a really pretty house though, I’ll bet you guys had a great time.

2. Tim Reply

December 4, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Those kitchen handles look the same as the handles on Drexel Declaration. Not my favorite, but appropriate for the period.

December 4, 2009 at 1:45 pm

That Deco light fixture is gorgeous! MCM is definitely my favourite decor era, but Victorian is definitely my second favourite.

4. Barbara Reply

December 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm

REAL elephant hide? Ewww…

Where’s the pic of Tom trying the cookies??

5. Autumn Hazen Reply

December 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Hi,

That wall oven is the same color as the one I had installed in my new home in 1965! Hope this helps.

Autumn

6. Eldemila Reply

January 1, 2010 at 12:50 am

The picture of the oven and cabinets look like the left side of the kitchen of the house we’re buying. I agree with Autumn, that stove is from the 60’s. The house we’re getting was built 1967-1969 (not exactly sure) and has the same stove.

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks, Autumn and Eldemila for the info. I would love to post pictures of your kitchen, Eldemila, feel free to email them!

8. Eldemila Reply

April 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hi Ruth

Just came back on to check your site. I did send you an email but it seems you didn’t get it. If you can email me directly, I’d be happy to send you links to the pictures of my house for you to post.

Thanks