Home » Decade » 1950 » Thrifting Treasures – 1952 Esquire Pin-up Calendar

December 3, 2009

Thrifting Treasures – 1952 Esquire Pin-up Calendar

So, here is a little treasure I picked up this summer that I forgot about until I was cleaning out the library to get ready for my parents visit.  An adorable desk pin-up calendar from 1952.

Pinup003

As you can see, this lovely lady was the front sheet in the calendar.  Rather than pulling sheets off and throwing them away, the sheets were held together behind a little cardboard frame.  There is a slot at the back of the frame where old sheets could be pulled out and thrown away, or, as this owner did, shuffled behind the others to the correct month.

Pinup008

This pretty girl is December.  I have to tell you, I need to get boyshorts like that and those adorable heels!  Love them!

Oh, and this little calendar is about as big as a 3×5 photo frame, and at 25 cents was pretty much the find of the day at a garage sale where I also got pocket binoculars from the 1950s and some Pyrex dishes. It was a pretty sweet deal for me, and I think for the lady selling the things.  She was just happy to be rid of them!

Pinup001

So cute, aren’t they?  I have other plans for these rather than just being pretty.  Stay tuned on Saturday to see my embroidery attempts with these beauties.  I have a few stiches left on my matador, so stay tuned for him finished as well!

Pinup002

I will be posting some more of these lovely ladies, as soon as I get back to scanning!

13 Responses to Thrifting Treasures – 1952 Esquire Pin-up Calendar

1. Pingback: Twitted by RetroRuth

December 3, 2009 at 10:10 am

This is a really great calendar Ruth! I really love those old pin-up girls from the 40s/50s, everything is so cute – compared to today. 😉 Great find!

3. Alex Reply

December 3, 2009 at 10:21 am

I love this. I have a journal that was made from old pin-up playing cards. The ladies are topless and very curvy. Like real women! I’m really loving those shoes, too.

December 3, 2009 at 11:40 am

Oh, yes! ALL of the shoes!

Great find, Ruth! These pictures seem so docile in comparison with what you see everyday on the streets. Yikes!

5. Alex Reply

December 3, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Could you make these into cupcake toppers for my New Year’s party? I think they would be a hit!

December 3, 2009 at 3:18 pm

OMG, what a find! I love pin up girl art! Can you make out the name of the artist on the original? I tried to look at the signature on the scan, but I can’t quite make it out. It doesn’t look to be one of the more “famous” pin up artists, but I really like their style!

December 3, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Thanks everyone, I was pretty excited about this find, too! I agree that even though they were considered “naughty” for a time, we find them so charming now.

Alex – Email me, girl! We can discuss design and stuff and I can work up some samples for you.

Andrea – I don’t think anyone super famous, but the December girl is by Ren Wicks. The rest are kind of blurry!

• Mike Reply

December 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I have the same calendar in almost perfect condition, if you want the names of the artists email me. I have other playboy calendars featuring stars like Stella Stevens 1961, Tina Louise 1962, Jayne Mansfield 1959 and many more

• Mike Reply

February 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

I have the same calendar in perfect condition.Artist are,,,chiriaka,Robert Patterson,Roswell Keller,Eddie Chan,Ren Wicks

• RetroRuth Reply

February 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, Mike!

• Mike Reply

March 13, 2012 at 12:47 am

I see there is a 1955 esquire calendar for sale at southworks, in cambridge,with the cover for $125

8. Chantelle Reply

December 3, 2009 at 11:38 pm

I love this! I love those pinup girls and I definitely love those spectator high heels. They’re awesome!!!

And I wish I had the butt to fill out those awesome boyshorts 🙂