Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty » Embroidery » Vintage Crafty Saturday – Progress on Vintage Pin-up Embroidery

December 12, 2009

Vintage Crafty Saturday – Progress on Vintage Pin-up Embroidery

Happy Saturday, everyone!  I just wanted to share the progress I’ve made on my pin-up embroidery.  Here is the image I copied:

And here is my version!

Trailer and Pin-ups 020

I am going to work my butt off to get the rest of her done by the end of this weekend, but I am pretty pleased with it.  The only thing I am not liking is her eyes, which I can’t seem to get right.

Trailer and Pin-ups 021

This is the third version of her eyes, and I am getting pretty sick of taking them out and stichin’ them back in.  What do you think, should I redo them or just call them good enough?

Have a great Saturday!

13 Responses to Vintage Crafty Saturday – Progress on Vintage Pin-up Embroidery

1. Deb Reply

December 12, 2009 at 8:39 am

I think they look perfect – leave ’em!

2. Alex Reply

December 12, 2009 at 8:43 am

I think they look great. Will this be a pillow…pillowcase…

3. Maggie Reply

December 12, 2009 at 8:44 am

I think her eyes are just fine as is — and the whole piece is damn cute! Is she going to be a pillowcase?

Ruth, both of your Etsy shops are so sad and lonely. Are you ever going to start selling in them again? You have such an MCM Menu following now, it would a great traffic driver to your shops.

December 12, 2009 at 10:34 am

OMG! You are so talented, Ruth! No, the eyes look great! I love the model’s ankle wrapped sandals and you did a fantastic job replicating them ala needlepoint!

LOL, yes, it would be nice as a pillowcase, but what about as a “show” hanky?

December 12, 2009 at 10:45 am

I love this Ruth! I would leave the eyes as they are, I think they look great. I can understand how they would be really difficult to do. You are really talented girl!

6. Kim Campbell Reply

December 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Oooh, I think the eyes look great!

7. Mary-Frances Main Reply

December 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

They eyes look fine – if you want to you could add a bit lighter color around the edge – but they’re fine the way they are! 🙂

Fabulous job!

December 12, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Nope, they look great! Leave them! I can’t wait to see a pic of this one when it’s finished!

9. Christina Reply

December 12, 2009 at 7:40 pm

I think the eyes are fine! Stop tearing them out and re-doing them!

I was wondering how you transferred the image onto fabric?

10. Paulette Reply

December 12, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I think I know what the issue is with the eyes. That being said, I don’t know as I’d redo them again because they are probably so small as to be imperceptible. Here’s what I see. In the illustration (which is mirror image of your stitchery), she is glancing in a way such that the pupils are on the right and the whites of her eyes show on the left portion of both eyes. In your stitchery, you’ve got to have both pupils on the left (mirror image) and the white parts on the right side of both eyes. Does that make sense?

My daughter was born with amblyopia and alternating esotropia (lazy eye/crossed eyes), so believe me, I’ve spent a lot of time looking closely at eyes. 🙂

11. Paulette Reply

December 12, 2009 at 9:53 pm

By the way, I think your embroidery is absolutely fabulous! And I think I meant irises, not pupils, but you get it. And my daughter is 22 now and just fine. Whew!

December 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!! I am glad to hear you like it, now I just hope the person who is getting it for a gift likes it, too!

Alex, it is just a regular dishtowel. I am hoping next year I can start moving into advanced things like pillows, but right now I am just working on premade things. And it is a lot of work. Whew.

Thanks, Maggie! Awww…you noticed about my shops. 🙁 I am so dang busy that they have been neglected, which is too bad because I have a TON of great stuff just sitting in a closet waiting to be sold. One of my New Years resolutions is going to be to make some time for my online shop. Here’s hoping!

Hi Christina!! I printed out the image on regular paper and then traced it with a pink transfer pencil I got from my Mom. It was a little time consuming, but I think it worked out really well. The hard part about this one was that it wasn’t actually a pattern, but a picture, so I had to decide which lines were the most important. I just traced it and hoped for the best.

You are totally right, Paulette. I can see what you mean. Maybe if I just redid that one pupil it would fix itself. I will have to pay better attention to the original next time. Oh, and I am glad your daughter is doing fine!!

13. Kat Cordero Reply

July 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I think they are great but the thing i think your seeing as what’s “not right” is the right eye(your right the little one) you have it facing the opposite direction of the other eye. but i still think it looks great. the way to fix it is to put the blue in the inside corner versus the outside. good luck!