Home » Vintage Travel » Christmas Photos – A Soda Shop, Vintage Christmas Decorations and Tom

January 7, 2010

Christmas Photos – A Soda Shop, Vintage Christmas Decorations and Tom

Here are some fun photos from our Christmas trip back to Wisconsin.  We had a great time with our families, and we have tons of photos to prove it.  Luckily, you will only be subjected to the vintage themed photos here. 🙂

Well, maybe mostly vintage.  This is a picture of Barbie, my sister’s rescued greyhound that tagged along for Christmas.  Tom loved the way one of Barbie’s ears would be up, and the other would be down.

The cute theater in downtown Waukesha, Wisconsin.

The soda shop in Waukesha, Sloppy Joes Soda Fountain.  They were closed, so we didn’t get to have a soda, but I love the pink poodle logo.

Cute soda fountain interior, taken through the window!

Tom, braving the snow to stand next to a giant metal chicken.  What a guy.

These were some really cool vintage decorations in the window of a restaurant, but I just couldn’t get the camera to co-operate!

A close-up of Santa’s sack.  Too cute.

A super cute mid-century bar.  Love the windows!

Christmas decorations at a local coffee shop.

Me, cold and on the way home. Whew!

10 Responses to Christmas Photos – A Soda Shop, Vintage Christmas Decorations and Tom

1. Annie B. Reply

January 7, 2010 at 10:25 am

Oh, how WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing those fabulous photos, Ruth; so very Norman Rockwell. What an incredibly charming town. What’s the population of Waukesha, by the way?

2. Babs Reply

January 7, 2010 at 11:29 am

I like the new layout a lot, but I miss the video on the right – I got attached to it!!

Love the photos – you have a charmed life!!
    __
    Barbara

• RetroRuth Reply

January 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

Barbara!! You cut right to the quick of my dilemma!!! Do I go with this cleaner layout, or do I go back to the one with the slider??? I can’t decide! Which one did you guys like better???

Annie – The population of Waukesha is about 65,000, I think. The downtown has had a major facelift in the last 5 years, and I think it has turned out great!

3. Barbara Reply

January 7, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Although I like this one a lot, the slider added a bit of “spice and anticipation”…and a lot of fun for new viewers who haven’t seen the Tom posts…

Did you make the template yourself or are you fortunate enough to know how to do it yourself?

• RetroRuth Reply

January 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Aww…its ok, Barbara. We all have those days!!

It is just little ole me working on this, which is why it takes forever and sometimes when you pull up the blog it looks insane or competely squished around. Lord help me.

So, I just got done adding a different post slider to the side of the new layout. It isn’t as fancy or as pretty as the old one, but the pictures are there with links to the posts, and that is most important. What do you think???

4. Barbara Reply

January 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm

See what lack of sleep does to me? I meant to say are you fortunate enough to have someone do it FOR YOU…

Off to get more coffee…

5. Barbara Reply

January 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm

YAY!!

6. Barbara Reply

January 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I like it a lot!! Where are you finding your templates? I’d like my blog to look more like this than what I have (you are reading my blog, right?? :))

I like the slider because it draws your attention to things you might have missed or not seen. Like Tom’s face!!!

Great job – love your logo, everything!! Now I just wished I lived in MI because you’re killing me with the cool houses at rock bottom prices (compared to CA)!!

January 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Ruth, I super love the photos of Waukesha! It reminds me of Green Bay. That place with the pink poodle looks so totally cool. The new photo slider looks great, but what happened to the pink background???

Oops, I did not notice all my info got deleted, so this comment will probably go through twice.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Thanks, guys!

Sara – I couldn’t get the pink background to work on this theme, but I am working on it! Hopefully it will work by next week. 🙂

Barbara – I DO read your blog, although I have to admit that I am a lurker on many blogs and do not comment very often. 🙂 I actually broke down and bought a premade theme from WooThemes, and they are pretty cool. It was pretty easy to make changes too, and then I just added a couple of widgets to the sidebar. They have a couple of free themes that are really nice, too.