Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » DIY » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Vintage Floating Shelf, Lamp and Headboard Project With Instructions!

January 19, 2010

Thank’s for this inspiring post, Jan!  I want those lamps.  More than anything. Seriously!

I beg Lowe’s pardon for stealing their motto, but,  let’s build something together;  MCM something that is.

I found these instructions in the 1950 late spring issue of Popular Home and although I am not a hammer jockey, I think I can do this no sweat.  Besides, Lowe’s and Home Depot will cut boards to your dimensions for free (of course, you have to buy the boards from them), so how difficult can this be?

So, gang, start your drills!

Happy Hammering!

7 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s Vintage Floating Shelf, Lamp and Headboard Project With Instructions!

1. Annie B. Reply

January 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Ruth and Jan. I am loving these ideas. I’m in the process of turning a storage (junk) room back into a bedroom and need lots of MCM ideas for it. Look at those wonderful Eames chairs in the photos! I want ’em….and those lamps!

January 19, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Jannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

What a great post! That floating shelf idea is the best. The pics are great. Those lamps would look awesome in your bedroom Ruth!

January 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I want the fold-down wall mounted desk, but back then you could send away for free plans. However, Bob (spouse) said he could make one.

Annie, I know what you mean about finding new ideas for our homes. I plan on doing a post on furniture for our MCM homes, with pictures!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! If you can find your dream home, I’ll personally come down and build your shelve(s), LOL!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuth! Those lamps are the bomb, girl! Kind of hard to find, used and new, but I’ll keep an eye out for you.

January 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Jan! I will take you up on that! 🙂

January 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

LOL, Sara, if this cold weather keeps up I may show up earlier!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Sable! Can’t wait for your post on MCM furniture!!! Where will I find it?????

7. anthony a. Reply

March 24, 2010 at 3:08 am

I would love love love scans of the “Popular Home Desk;” that’s something that I have thought about for a while and was floored to see! And you’re right – those lamps; so good.