Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Tries MCM Cooking!

January 12, 2010

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Tries MCM Cooking!

This post is for you Ruth, our Goddess of MCM cooking! I am constantly amazed at all of your awesome MCM meal posts and the guts you have to make some of those crazy sounding meals. You know we all love to read them – and we especially love to see Tom’s reaction when he takes his first bite!

Before I get into my MCM recipe I had to post this link to a skit January Jones (Mad Men) did on Saturday Night Live because it reminds me of your MCM meals Ruth (when she talks about the crazy food combinations she is going to serve). Maybe we need to think about trying out that Fruit Punch recipe? 😉 Please everyone check this out, if you have not seen it already, you will really get a kick out of it.

OK y’all, I decided to get adventurous and give MCM cooking a try. But, I have to admit I am such a chicken about trying REALLY crazy things that I picked a dessert that Ruth featured a while back — and she said she liked it. Soooooo, I guess I am not reeeeeaaallly that adventurous huh? But I tried! The dessert I decided to make was Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, and it was featured in Ruth’s post here when she made the infamous Pizza Boats. It even sounds good doesn’t it – I mean Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, how could you go wrong with that??? Just add chocolate chip cookies to the mix and you would have all of my favorite desserts rolled into one! On with the fun!

I really tried to do this post like Ruth would do all of her MCM meal posts. So I took tons of pictures. Ruth – I give you props girl for taking pictures with one hand while pouring or mixing ingredients with the other hand. I never thought about that before I tried this recipe and boy it is not easy! Go Ruth!

The assembled ingredients. Wow, it does not look like very much does it?

Measuring out the Biscuit Mix.

Adding the Sugar.

Adding the Walnuts.

And finally, adding the milk.

And this is what you get – Sugary, Walnutty Biscuits! Just Kidding!

The batter ready to go into the greased pan.

Now for the fun stuff! Layering on the Brown Sugar.

Brown Sugar layer has been added.

Melting the Chocolate Chips. It was kind of like really watery dark chocolate cocoa.

Pouring the melted Chocolate Chips over the top of the mixture. This is REALLY where I can appreciate your one-handed picture taking Ruth! Trying to pour the watery chocolate, and take a picture, and not spill it everywhere – Hooray, I managed not to spill chocolate water everywhere!

All ready to go into the oven!

And, Ta Da! The finished Hot Fudge Pudding Cake. It looks kind of weird huh? But, I can assure you it will look much different once you flip it over. If you make this I recommend getting a flexible type plastic spatula and really scrape the bottom as much as possible when you are scooping out your piece. It probably won’t come out perfect looking anyway, but hey who cares when you are going to eat it immediately!

I REALLY wanted to get one of those great shots (like Ruth gets of Tom taking the first bite – and his reaction) but Mike was working about 8,000 hours a week when I made this and he had gotten home really late so, needless to say, he was not in the picture taking mood. But, I did want to assure you that my Bear REALLY loved it! 😉

I was curious, like Ruth was, about the whole mysterious pudding thing. But here is a picture of a piece after it is removed from the pan to prove the hot fudge pudding sauce will mysteriously appear. Hooray for mysterious hot fudge sauce making while in the oven! I think little oven elves came in while I wasn’t looking and slipped in the hot fudge sauce on the bottom. 🙂

The Verdict: Completely Awesome! I will probably be making this a bunch in the future, as my Husband and my Mom were both crazy about it and the recipe is super easy. I did try Ruth’ s recommendation (when she made this a while back) and added a whole bag of chocolate chips. I do agree with her that half a bag probably would not be enough chocolate. But, if you do not want a lot of chocolate, half a bag might be right for you. Also, I made this 2 times – once with Semi-Sweet Chips and once with Milk Chocolate Chips. Mike and I both preferred the sweeter Milk Chocolate, but the Semi-Sweet was fine too, esp. if you like that dark chocolate taste.

Well, I hope I did an OK job with my MCM cooking experiment, what do y’all think?

15 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Tries MCM Cooking!

1. Jenny in Phx Reply

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh Sara-what fun it was to read this! Love the Formica table, the Pyrex and the Metlox dish! I think I am going to have to try that recipe too-it has made me curious. How DOES that pudding get there!? Congrats to you on a successful dish!

2. Kelly Reply

January 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

You did a great job, Sara! – and I like your little taste tester there! 🙂

This stuff looks like molten yumminess.

3. Kelly Reply

January 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

p.s. That January Jones skit is awesome! I had to watch it over and over to take in the set and costumes.

p.s.s. I really love the new blog design!

January 12, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Kelly! I really appreciate that. You should definitely try this recipe, you would love it — and Jack would too. 🙂

January 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Oh, thanks for letting me know you watched the skit Kelly. I thought it was freaking hilarious!!! And I want all of that set too, esp. that table with the cool starburst design on the top.

January 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Loved your teddy bear having some pudding!!!!!

Great post, girlfriend!

January 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Sable!

January 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hi Jenny! Thanks so much for the compliments! You should definitely try this recipe, you will love it! I am going to try to come over to Hollywood Regency in the next week or two – can’t wait!

January 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I absolutely LOVE your table, wow, that’s gorgeous!!

10. Jenny in Phx Reply

January 12, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Ohhhh I hope you come in soon, and make sure to introduce yourself! This week I am working Wed, Thurs, Fri 11-6, then next week I will be there the same times, but add Thurs night till 10pm (it’s Third Thursday) and also Saturday all day. 😀

January 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Glad you like the new blog design, Kelly! It is a pain in my butt, but I think it was worth it.

Sara! Girl, this post was awesome! I am glad you are spreading the hot fudge pudding cake recipe, it turned out a hundred times better than I expected it to be! I also am a huge fan of your awesome table. Those chairs are unbelievable!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Andrea – Thanks so much!

Jenny – I will definitely introduce myself! If I can make it this week it will probably be Friday. Otherwise, maybe Mike and I will try to come on Thursday night. See you soon!

Thanks Ruth! I really, really appreciate the compliments! Mike actually found that table and REALLY wanted it, but I was unsure about getting it – if you can believe that! I guess the main reason I was unsure was because the chairs were all in HORRIBLE shape, the covers were all ripped and falling apart. I really liked the table top though becasue of the turquoise color and the different shapes, so he convinced me to get it. Mike knew of a salvage fabric place here in Tempe so we bought some glittery and turqouise vinyl there really cheap and then had the chairs re-covered. I was actually the one who insisted the diamond shapes be put on the seat backs – that was not there originally. I just thought the diamonds woud look good with the table since the table has diamonds too! We must spread the word about the awesome hot fudge pudding cake! 🙂 Thanks for introducing it to all of us.

13. Annie B. Reply

January 13, 2010 at 9:57 am

Fantastic job, Sara!! The taster-bear is adorable! I’m loving your table and your cookware…I’m a great fan of “Blue Heaven”.

January 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Thanks so much Annie, I really appreciate your compliments!

15. Pingback: Mid-Century Menu – Bisquick Meat Sandwich and Peach Pinwheels | No Pattern Required