Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty Saturdays – New Craft Room and Tons of Ideas

January 2, 2010

Vintage Crafty Saturdays – New Craft Room and Tons of Ideas

Welcome to 2010, everyone!  Hooray!  Or something!

Anyway, this year I am planning on moving my craft room down to our basement.  We need to inhabit our basement more, because it is really a great space.  And I am really excited to really make it my own room with LOADS of mid-century touches.

Here is my craft room now.  Well, kind of.  Here it is after it was painted but before it was organized.

And here is a picture of the basement.

Well, the fireplace, anyway.  To the right of the fireplace is a big room with double doors that the previous owners had a pool table in.  It is a massive room with lots of potiential, and the doors will be great to keep the cats out when I am working on something.

So, I have been making decorating plans for the room, but I haven’t gotten very far yet.  There is green carpet down there that is glued to the cement floor, and I don’t know if I am going to try and pull it up yet.  What I would really like to do is pull it up and put down some VCT tile like we did in the kitchen and then put an area rug or some carpet tiles over that to make it a little more cozy.  But we will see.

In the meantime, I have been getting some inspiration from a book I picked up at Goodwill about remodeling basements and attics to make hobby and rec rooms. Take a look at some of these great rooms!

I love this layout, except if I was that wife I would demand at least half of this room instead of being content to sit in the corner and watch.  Can you imagine what a jerk that guy is?

“Now you sit here and don’t touch anything.”

Right, buddy. Right.

Looooove the carpet in this room!

Wow. Zebra!  But I love the scallloped shelf on the right.  I wonder if I could make something like that…

So very, very pretty.

That wallpaper is awesome.

See, this is more like it.  They are sharing the space.  Much better!

More scans of rec rooms to come, and if anyone has ideas for large expanses of cinder block walls, I would love to hear them!

8 Responses to Vintage Crafty Saturdays – New Craft Room and Tons of Ideas

January 2, 2010 at 11:43 am

That wonderful fireplace in the basement! Is that a grill, too? I’d be throwing steaks (yes, RED MEAT) on it every night, maybe a kabob or two for good measure.

The current home we’re living in (built 1958) was first owned by a man who had a flooring business (still does) and all of the extra asphalt floor tiles were put on the floors in the basement. I’ll send photos along once I have everything cleared out of the basement. I call it my floor-of-many-colors (just like Joseph’s coat).

January 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Oh my gosh Ruth, I am so jealous of your basement!!! It is so awesome! A craft room down there would be really cool. I wish I had the problem of trying to figure out what to do with large expanses of cinder block walls – we have practically no basements here!

3. Jenny in Phoenix Reply

January 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

ah Ruth…you lucky girl with a basement! Sara is right-we have no basements here in the Southwest. We do have “Arizona rooms”….but it’s not quite the same! I wish I could trot over with some of my old decorating books-I have tons and the basement re-dos are some of my favorite things to look at. Some of them even give directions on how to inlay a shuffleboard scoring grid! Crazy!

January 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Wow, that is a gorgeous fireplace! Jealous!

I do admit that I rather like the zebra bar stools in the one picture, but the zebra bar is a little much, heh.

Please do keep the scans of the rec rooms coming! We have a vintage bar in our basement, but the rest of the basement was renoed sometime in the 80s, and I am definitely looking for ideas to bring the rest of the basement back to it’s mid-century glory. The scans you posted today were great!

5. Erika Mulvenna Reply

January 2, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Oh man, I totally saw that book at Goodwill! I couldn’t talk my husband into it because our house is built on a slab…no basement!

I can’t wait to see your new space as it comes along, and I am so jelous! It is so much fun to plan out a new sewing space, good luck and happy sewing in the new year.

January 3, 2010 at 3:38 am

Hi Jenny! I am still going to come into Hollywood Regency, I have not forgotten! I NEED to come check out that store, and say ‘Hey’ to ya!

7. Tim Reply

January 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

There are laminate flooring options like Pergo that are more tile like (rather than wood like). A floating floor on top of the carpet would definitely be a lot less work.

8. Annie B. Reply

January 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I’m consumed with basement envy. Yours is so wonderful..I want those light fixtures over the fireplace (and the fireplace, too, of course). No one in our area has a basement; we live on sand with the water table within six feet of the surface. And, alas, I have no attic or garage either which means all my MCM treasures are stuffed in to every nook and cranny of my wannabe-rancho. Congratulations on the beginning of a fabulous craft room!