Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Etsy – Vintage Cookbooks, Make Your Own Mid-Century Menu!

January 8, 2010

Vintage Etsy – Vintage Cookbooks, Make Your Own Mid-Century Menu!

I have to admit, I am a sucker for an awesome vintage cookbook, no matter if the recipes inside are good or gag-inducing. Check out some of these awesome cookbooks on Etsy right now!

Cook like a 1930’s Movie Star with this great cookbook from collectiblekitchen.

Get a great deal on this set of 4 books for $4 from REdesignkc.  I really want to get my grubby mitts on that Knox cookbook…

Here is another Knox cookbook from goodlookin’, and it looks the originator of the Mid-Century Menu!  Each step of gelatin making is photographed.  Oh! I want it!

Here is a vintage Calumet cookbook from OldVintageCookbooks.  I thought this was a good pick for two reasons. One is that I LOVE my Calumet cookbook, and most of the recipes in it are used by the stars of Food Network’s (without crediting Calumet), from brownies to gingerbread to waffles.  Everything I have made out of it tastes great.  The second reason is because of the shelf-edging on the front of the book.  Look at it!  It’s adorable!

Or, you could starve yourself thin with this 1950’s diet book for teenage girls from Ry-Crisp, also sold by OldVintageCookbooks. Sheesh.

Creepy.

7 Responses to Vintage Etsy – Vintage Cookbooks, Make Your Own Mid-Century Menu!

1. Deb Reply

January 8, 2010 at 11:13 am

It’s no wonder women are so freaked out about weight. You’re absolutely right – creepy!!

2. Barbara Reply

January 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

Actually, the diets in magazines now are so much worse for teenagers – at least this book had 1500 calorie a day meals – some in the 60s had 900 calorie meals!! Pure starvation!

PS: Treat yourself to the Knox book. We can only imagine what horrors you could cook up from that one!!
    ___
    Barbara

January 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I also love and collect vintage cookbooks! I scored big one year about 23 years ago at a rummage sale where this woman had 2 big boxes full of them. I was able to snag both boxes for 15 bucks, which I thought was a steal. There are cookbooks from the late 1900s through the Sixties.

January 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wow, that diet book really is creepy and kind of ominous looking!

Love the new theme!

5. Name (required) Reply

January 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I adore vintage cookbooks!! They’re like time travel….so much information contained within them on the culture of the period. And, I so love those vintage housewares! Thanks for a great post!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm

OOOPPPS…..that was me with no name!!
    Sorry!!!

7. Amber Reply

January 9, 2010 at 1:35 am

I love the cookbooks too, if only for the graphics even. Love them. That diet one, yikes, but then again looking in magazines now not much has changed really.