Home » MCM Fun » Hilarious Mid-Century » Learn A Lesson » Learn Your Mid-Century Lesson – Get Ready For School By Eating Prunes

February 12, 2010

Learn Your Mid-Century Lesson – Get Ready For School By Eating Prunes

Welcome to this week’s lesson!  This cute lesson comes from Science, Health, Safety a grammer school textbook that was published in 1957, and meant to teach first graders through common sense.  I found it at our local Goodwill, and fell in love with the illustrations.

I thought this would be a good lesson for those of you who have trouble getting out of bed on time for work, and keep forgetting to do things like washing or eating your prunes.

See, aren’t the illustrations the cutest?

Poor kid, he’s got pink polka-dotted curtains!  Don’t worry little Bobby, I’ll take those.  And you can wrap up your clock in them. And that lamp. Hand it over.

Those are some socks, let me tell ya.

Ta-da!  Wait…I think he forgot to put his eyes in…

Oh my god, the whole family forgot their eyes!  And I don’t even think that girl is conscious!

Or maybe she is worshipping the box of Rice cereal.

Just like Richard Scarry books!

Yeah, hi – Book?  I’ll take some bacon, jelly, and some of those rolls. And throw in a cocoa. And you better hurry up, cause I’m late for school.

Wait…what do you mean this isn’t a menu?

Awww…look. They are all full of prunes and playing in front of the most adorable Mid-Century school. Hooray for happy endings!

Now if only that kid could get his hands on some eyes….

11 Responses to Learn Your Mid-Century Lesson – Get Ready For School By Eating Prunes

1. Ashliegh Reply

February 12, 2010 at 8:28 am

That was a hilarious read, love that book, the illustrations are GORGEOUS!!!!! …hmmm I sure do like my grits, cornmeal and prunes for breakfast!!!

February 12, 2010 at 9:44 am

OMG, I’ve run out of tissues, I’m laughing so hard!

3. Barbara Reply

February 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Very nice! The eyeless family (with the comatose sister)! Great find!

4. Annie B. Reply

February 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

The Eyeless Family….I am hysterical. I am not supposed to be hysterical at work, but I am. It’s Friday; so what!

Those illustrations are sweet enough to eat! I want little Bobby’s shoes! His clock looks like the vintage “Moonbeam” lighted alarm clock and I’ll take that, too.

This is one fabulous post! Thanks, Ruth, for making my day!

PS It’s about to snow on the beaches of North Carolina today…up to four inches! Yipppeee…..!!!

February 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm

OMG! This is freakin’ hilarious Ruth! The whole eyeless family – Love it! 🙂

February 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Thanks, guys. I thought it was pretty hilarious too…

What the…are you actually excited about snow, Annie?? Good lord. Are you joking? Please tell me you are joking…:)

7. Lisa Reply

February 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I like the food labeling best. “This is bacon. This is jelly. This is oatmeal. Ask for it by name.”

Also, I want the rice-worshipping girl child’s aqua jumper/black turtleneck combo.

Great post!

8. Roxanne Reply

February 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I’m behind on your posts and started with this one.

I’m laughing too hard to continue now!

PS My husband and son LIKE prunes. Me, not so much. For “National Pie Day” they actually REQUESTED Prune Pie. Here’s my link if you’d like to read about it (the first post is on the bottom):

9. Emma Reply

February 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm

First time reader here… between this post, the scary Valentine girl, and the apron-wearing banana, my abs got a serious workout from some serious laughing. This is one of the best MCM blogs I’ve come across; I’ll definitely be keeping up with your posts from now on!

February 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thanks, Lisa, Roxanne and Emma! You guys are sweet.

I know Roxanne, prunes are usually a little too much for me, but I would have eaten that pie!

Emma, glad to have you and thanks for the compliments! 🙂

Lisa – I know what you mean about the jumper. So cute!

11. Pingback: Learn Your Mid-Century Lesson – How To Tolerate Your Brothers and Sisters | No Pattern Required