Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Let’s Cruise Our Nation’s Highways With Jan In Pink! Pink Cars, That Is!

February 16, 2010

I love it when you think pink, Jan!  Great post!  What do you think of Jan’s post? Leave her some feedback and comment!

When the color pink took hold of mid-century modern America, it really took hold!  Pink bathrooms, pink kitchens, pink furniture and even pink cars!

So hooray for America’s automobile manufacturers for going with the trend and giving us something else in pink to swoon over!

The 1955 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria adorned in pink and black.

The 1956 Pontiac Super Chief in coral pink and gray.

A 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air coupe, pretty in pink and white.

The pink and white interior of a 1956 Mercury Monterey.  Love the pink steering wheel!

Finally, the creme de la creme of pink automobiles, the 1959 Cadillac.  And look at the mother and daughter gowns in the same pink shade!   They were designed especially for Cadillac.

11 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Let’s Cruise Our Nation’s Highways With Jan In Pink! Pink Cars, That Is!

1. Name (required) Reply

February 16, 2010 at 9:46 am

Great post, I really enjoyed the flashback, Dianne

2. Annie B. Reply

February 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

Oh, Jan! What a way to start my day!! Thank you for all those fabulous photos. I remember the days of “Everything Pink” so very well. It really was the most glamourous color back then. My uncle had a pink ’59 Sedan de Ville which I can recall in vivid detail: it was about a block long and looked like a pink rocket ship to a five-year-old! What a car! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

3. Paulette Reply

February 16, 2010 at 10:20 am

That pink Cadillac…swoon! My aunt had that Chevy Bel Air but in a buttery yellow. It was a beauty. Thanks for the trip!

February 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

LOL @ the pink rocket ship, Annie! How did he ever parellel park it, LOL? The 59 Caddy was my favorite car.

Paulette, my maternal grandfather was a Chevy man. He owned a 1953 Bel Air, white top over a rust color and a 1957 Bel, white over red.

I tried to find the color chips online, but couldn’t, so if anyone knows of a body shop site that has the palettes of the Fifties, let me know.

5. Annie B. Reply

February 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

Sable, you’ve got me laughing, too, thinking about my uncle’s Caddy! Our family had a ’59 Chevy Parkwood station wagon, silver with a white top. Its tail lights reminded me of great big cat’s eyes as a kid. At least I still have photos of it; it is my favorite car we ever owned. My mother’s sister had a matching Parkwood wagon in the white and rust combo. That was the coolest of the “new” colors back then!

February 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Sableeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh My Gosh!!! All of these cars are totally swoonable, smelling salts anyone. 🙂 I will take one of each please, but that pink Caddy is especially bomb-a-licious! Great job on the post girl!

February 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Yes, that 59 Cad IS bomb-a-licious!

I did finally find a site that listed the paint colors of cars, but the pink color must had been a special order color from Cadillac because it wasn’t listed. The 59 T-Bird also came in pink, too.

Our family doctor had a 1957 T-Bird, I believe. He used to make house calls in it. Can’t remember what color it was, either black or gray.

8. Alex Reply

February 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm

My mom had a pink and black car! I’ll have to ask her what year and make it was. She called it salmon and black. These pics make me want to grab a head scarf and some Jackie O sunglasses.

February 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Or a pillbox hat, Alex! Although, that might fly off in the Caddy….

Love the cars, Sable! I have to say that the Caddy is my personal fav!

My parents had a 1970’s T-Bird when I was growing up. They eventually got rid of it because my sister and I kept slamming our fingers in the big, heavy doors!

February 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm

How about one of those pink wrap around scarfs, Alex? The kind you wear over your French Twist, after you’ve lacquered it down with 10 cans of hair spray, LOL! Pink rhinestone cat-eye sunglasses for me!

The best thing about these vintage cars is the leg room! I feel like a sardine in the cars nowadays.

11. Annie B. Reply

February 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Sable, you aren’t kidding about the leg room! We once had a 1974 Chevy Impala station wagon we used as a fishing and camping car. The rear cargo area was large enough to hold a double bed mattress! It was one of the last of Detroit’s really big cars. It could blow anything with wheels off the road, too, while drinking down the gas.

Alex, break out the Aqua Net and go for a ride!!