Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Latest Mid-Century Finds At Local Restore!

March 4, 2010

Latest Mid-Century Finds At Local Restore!

I couldn’t help myself when I was out the other day, I had to take a swing by the Habitat for Humanity Restore and see what goodies they had.  Our Restore has recently moved to a new location, so they don’t have everything out they used to, but what they had was still good enough for me!

I love this sewing machine cabinet!  It even has chrome edging!

Eh. Painted.  At least it is a cute color.

Does anyone else think this kind of looks like a Heywood Wakefield desk? Anyone?

I think this table is SWEET, but I can’t come up with a good place in the house for it.  If only I could it would be mine in a second!

Anyone else come across good stuff lately? We would love to hear about it!

16 Responses to Latest Mid-Century Finds At Local Restore!

March 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Gosh, it seems like your Restore has a lot more furniture than mine does! I’m jealous! So, did you buy anything that day? All your finds are great! Mom and I are off for a day of thrifting and Estate Sales, fingers crossed I find some cool stuff.

March 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Wow, and to think I was excited by the avocado green canister/bread box set I got at the Salvation Army on Monday – you found all kinds of good stuff! I am drooling over that sewing machine cabinet!

March 4, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Sara! I didn’t get anything from the Restore, but I found a couple of dishes, some books and a dress at the Salvation Army. Did you and your Mom get anything?

Andrea – I am excited about the green canister! Send us a pic, we would love to see it. I am dying over that sewing machine cabinet, too. If only my machine fit…

4. Annie B. Reply

March 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Wow! Great stuff, Ruth! Thanks for the photos. That painted piece is a super find; everything about it is so perfectly retro….the offset drawer pulls and the taper of the chest (or it looks tapered to me). That desk certainly does resemble Hey Wake. Was it priced reasonably?

Can’t wait to see Andrea’s cannister set and to find out what Sara scored today!!

March 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, Annie! I was kind of sad they had painted that chest (yes, it was tapered), but it would have been a great find for a 1930’s house, I think. Oh, and the desk was $45, so not bad!

6. Harp Lounge Reply

March 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I love that sewing table! It would be perfect in the corner of my living room…where there are currently ugly plastic tubs full of sewing crap. 😛

7. Harp Lounge Reply

March 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Whoops, hit submit before I finished…

I’m a bit ambivalent about older pre-WWII furniture that’s been painted – the painting itself may be vintage, as there was a big trend after the war to paint all that “dark, ugly, oppressive” wood furniture and trim with bright, modern colours so that you could bring your house up-to-date and use all the new bright paints that were available after rationing and shortages ended. I have a whole decorating book from about 1946-7 telling you how to do it! (Downloadable from my blog.) So while it’s a little horrifying to us now, it’s “period-correct” to have painted deco or Victorian furniture in your 1945-55 house, so I try not to get too outraged. It’s like repainting some piece of ugly 70s tat now, I guess – are people 30 or 40 years from now going to be horrified that those early-2000s people painted over all that nice mission brown and burnt orange? 🙂

March 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hey y’all (Ruth & Annie B.) I found a couple of the things! No lights though. 🙂 I found some old pyrex and some old enamelware baking stuff, a Gilner Elf figurine, an old pink Shawnee planter with a bull on it, and my best find was an old Bubblecut Barbie (from about 1960) for $10! Hooray!!!!

9. Annie B. Reply

March 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Wahoo, Sara! You did quite well! So cool to find that Barbie! I love pink Shawnee pottery. I have a beloved pink Shawnee boomerang ashtray which also came from a thrift. Does your planter have the gold specks atop the pink? My ashtray does.

March 5, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hey Annie B! OMG! I think I have the same exact ashtray as you – it is a total funky boomerang shape in light pink with gold splotches all over it??? I have one large one and 2 small ones. I got mine forever and a day ago at an antique store in Texas for like $6 for all I think? Funny that I like to have the cool ashtrays around even though I do not smoke. 🙂 The Bull Planter does not have any gold on it. I will take a pic and include it in a post sometime.

11. Jen Reply

March 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Wow, you have some great shopping in your area! That desk is gorgeous, and the sewing table is quite swanky for such a utilitarian item.

(And to think, our Goodwill didn’t even have any Pyrex floating around today…!)

12. The Vintage Reader Reply

March 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I think that sewing cabinet is a Singer from the 50s. I’ve seen pictures of my Singer 301 machine in a light-colored cabinet shaped like that. I would love to get my hands on one of those!!!

13. The Vintage Reader Reply

March 8, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Aha! Here’s a picture of the sewing cabinet in a lovely two-tone finish:

If I lived within two hours of that Restore, I’d be on the road right now. 🙂

14. sarah Reply

February 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

I literally just bought the EXACT same dresser as the one in the top photo on this post – it’s a Bassett. Mine is missing a couple of pulls, but it’s totally solid. What a surprise to see it here – mine is literally in the middle of my living room this moment, waiting to be restored!

15. alli Reply

February 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I HAVE that sewing machine cabinet from your pics! Just got it a few weeks ago from a Salvation Army store for seven dollars. Now, I am looking for hinges for it – mine are missing, however, once I find them, my old sewing machine will fit perfectly! 🙂

• RetroRuth Reply

February 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Sweet! What a deal! That is even better than the price on that one, which I think was like $35.