Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Mid-Century Menu – Alabama Eggs

March 10, 2010

Mid-Century Menu – Alabama Eggs

Happy Wednesday, All!  I have a short and simple post today, because I am a totally idiot and volunteered to feed kittens for the local rescue society.  You are going to have to forgive the shortness of this post because 8 kittens are in the other room waiting to be fed! Every 4 hours!  The little jerks…

Anyway, this week’s meal is from The Southern Cook Book, which is a bunch of recipes collected by Marion Brown and published in 1951.  And no, that isn’t Marion Brown on the cover.  That is just some guy from a Blue Bonnet Margarine ad.

This little gem cookbook is actually still around today, it was reprinted in 2001. Look it up, it might be a good buy if you are interested in Southern cooking. I found a lot of great recipes in this thing that I am looking forward to trying.

But first, as always, we had to go for the stuff that was a little different than what we were used to.

Interesting!  I made something similar when I was in home ec class in high school, we called it bird’s nests or something like that, except it was a pile of hash browns with an egg in the center.

And butter? Bah. Too common.  We decided to go the unhealthy way and do them in bacon fat.

Quite possibly the least ingredients for the Mid-Century Menu ever!

The bread can see you….oooooooooooo….

Frying in bacon fat.  So unhealthy. So delicious.

Cracking eggs into toast holes.

Perfect fit!

Tom making 5 min grits to go with the Arkansas eggs.  It seemed appropriate.

This was actually really fun. And it even looks cute.

The eggs and bread flipped over.  I was pretty pleased that I didn’t break any yolks.

Tom’s first bite.  It was kind of nice, cause you didn’t even need a fork!

“So, how is it?”

“Really good!  I could see eating this for breakfast a lot.”

Success! I guess Arkansas does have good eggs.

The Verdict:

Good!  I was surprised, thinking that the bread would be soggy and gross, but it actually ended up tasting good. It probably helped that the bread was soaked in bacon drippings.  Everything is more delicious with bacon!

15 Responses to Mid-Century Menu – Alabama Eggs

1. Annie B. Reply

March 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Gosh, this recipe makes me wish I liked fried eggs. I think I’ve heard this called “toad in the hole” or something equally gruesome.

You are wonderful for feeding those kittens!

March 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

It’s Eggs in a Basket! I eat this for breakfast more often than not on the weekend.

Aww, you are so kind to feed the kittens! I bet they are super cute.

March 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Kittens! You should post a pic of the little babies.

TOOOOOO funny, Mike and I used to make these a lot, we called them ‘Eggs in A Frame’ and they are really super good. And yes, everything is better with bacon! :)

4. Inky Reply

March 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm

this is my favorite way to make eggs on the weekend – nom nom nom – I had no idea I was being all southern like!

5. Kelly Reply

March 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Three cheers for kittens! And for you feeding them! And for Southerners! And for bacon fat! I don’t like eggs but three more cheers for excuses to eat toast! :)

6. Ron Reply

March 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I fix this all the time, we love it. I just called it “egg in toast” guess I now know the real name of it. my cutouts are usually just me pinching out the center of the bread, your circles are perfect!

7. Sarah in GA Reply

March 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I believe those are Alabama Eggs–although I know there are lots of chickens in Arkansas!

• RetroRuth Reply

March 10, 2010 at 9:21 pm

You are right, Sarah! Oops! The dangers of not getting sleep and doing posts….

Ron, I totally cheated and used a cookie cutter. :)

I will post pictures of the kittens ASAP, guys! I just took some adorable ones today.

8. twobarkingdogs Reply

March 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm

My great aunt called them “gas light eggs” and we called them “toad in the hole.”

This was a very easy challenge!!

9. Paulette Reply

March 11, 2010 at 12:16 am

It’s toad in a hole! I’m hungry for breakfast now. Yep, everything is better with bacon!

March 11, 2010 at 10:56 am

Good ol’ toad-in-a-hole!

11. KDA Reply

March 11, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I’ve never had this dish, but I think the mom (Olympia Dukasis’ character) in Moonstruck makes it.

12. Roxanne Reply

March 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Ha! I was coming on to comment about how they went from Alabama Eggs to Arkansas Eggs.

“Traveling Eggs” could be their new name!

You do know that it was the bacon grease that really put them over the top as to taste, don’t you?

Mmmmmmm.

13. Jason Reply

March 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm

We’ve always called it “egg in a hole!” I have it for breakfast at least once a week. Usually i make the egg “over easy” so the yolk can be sopped up with the crispy toast, but i’ve seen it served “over hard” and eaten by hand (like
    Tom) on a British movie once.

14. Miss CherryBubbles Reply

March 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Oohh, my family always called them “egg in a frame” – my husband calls them “toad in a hole.” Whatever name they go by, they’re yummy! ;)

Looks like a fun cookbook too!