Home » MCM Fun » Do Your Good Deed » Cat Rescue » Sugar and Her Kittens – The New Foster Family

March 11, 2010

Sugar and Her Kittens – The New Foster Family

So, at the risk of turning this into a cat blog, here are pictures of the new family that Tom and I are fostering right now.  Well, Tom is doing it reluctantly. 🙂

Here is Sugar, a young mama, and her brood of 8 kittens. 8!! Crazy.  Sugar and her kittens were turned into the local animal control in one of the overnight dog “drop pens” where you can just ditch your dog at night and have animal control take care of it in the morning.

Somehow, Sugar got out and started moving kittens, so when animal control opened at 8:00 a.m., it looked like 7 motherless kittens had been abandoned in the dog pens.

Luckily, animal control called the Midland Humane Society, who put out a call for an experienced kitten raiser.  And…well…they got me.  I have never raised a kitten before, but I thought I would try rather than letting all these pretty babies get put down.

Meanwhile, another member of the Humane Society tracked down the mom and the last kitten, put them in a carrier and met me at the vet. (Thanks, Rhoda!) Mom and kittens were reunited, and I was totally relieved that I wouldn’t have to be going it alone.

So, now the whole family is being fostered at our house.  Sugar and her babies (Twix, Baby Ruth, Spree, Kit, Kat, York, Clarke and Tootsie) are all doing great.  They were all pretty sick and dehydrated, but everyone is making great strides towards being healthy again!

9 Responses to Sugar and Her Kittens – The New Foster Family

1. Kelly Reply

March 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm

They’re so beautiful! Bless their hearts – I hope that they are all healthy soon and on their way to their happy endings. Thanks for agreeing to taking good care of them. I love their candy inspired names! 🙂

We used to have one of those animal drop-off systems here and in one way, I think that it’s better than animals being abandoned on the street…but in another way, it seems sad and scary and devoid of accountability on the owners’ parts. I hope that some day, somehow, we won’t need such systems.

March 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm

OMG! Seriously – could they be any cuter??? So great to have reunited the whole family. Are you going to keep any of them? 🙂 I love that little gray one in the last pic!

3. Miss Sews-it-all Reply

March 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Yes, they are sooooo cute! And all I can say is God bless you for giving them all a chance!

March 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I had to reach for a hanky on this one. Poor babies and mama abandoned like that and the babies sick. Damned, uncaring people who just toss animals aside like they were old shoes. A pox upon them all!

Good going Ruth and Tom-Tom for fostering!

5. Barb Reply

March 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm

You are an angel….these kittens and the mom are so lucky to have you!! They are adorable.

6. Annie B. Reply

March 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Bless you, Ruth and Tom! They are incredibly adorable. SO glad you found Mom……the bottle feeding thing is tough! I’ve done it with newborns and it’s just like having a human infant. These guys are completely off the cute scale! Thank you for being so caring!

7. Emma Reply

March 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Oh, I could hug you right through the internet! You are wonderful for helping those kitties out. They are adorable!

8. Amber Dusick Reply

March 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

Good for you for helping these cuties out! I hope they are back to health soon, keep us posted!

9. Alex Reply

March 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

Your babies are beautiful! 😉 Good for you!