Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s BH&G Fabulous 60’s Decorating Ideas

March 2, 2010

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s BH&G Fabulous 60’s Decorating Ideas

Thanks, Jan!  These Better Homes and Gardens books are always such fun.  They sometimes go over the top, but I always love looking at them!

This week’s post is about the furnishings and decor of 1967.  Although the late Sixties are not one of my favorite times of Mid-Century Modern, I keep an open mind.

The pictures I’ve chosen is from Better Homes & Gardens Home Furnishings and Ideas Magazine of 1967.  You’ll see where colors become vivid, fabrics and draperies are heavy, darker woods are used and the trend is Mediterranean mixed with Modern, Colonial and “Early Orange Crate.”

Wow!  Who needs a morning caffeine jolt when you can get jump-started with an in-your-face shot of bold color!

The headboard in this picture was made from the sides of a discarded bentwood rocker.  MCM fans do something similar by searching, finding, buying and recycling unwanted furnishings and decor into our homes.

Notice the modern coffee table in the midst of Queen Anne furniture and African statues.

Rugs and carpeting are colorful, plush and shaggy.

The heavy fabrics and dark woods are the complete opposite of the bold colors.  One could easily curl up on the sofa and fall asleep

This picture combines bold colors, patio furniture (the coffee table) and artificial grass (grass?) for the area rug.

The bright colors and mish-mosh of elements are a far cry of the simplicity of modern style.

What are your thoughts, gang?

11 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Jan’s BH&G Fabulous 60’s Decorating Ideas

March 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Jannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is really interesting to see the late 60s decorating ideas. I don’t really have books or mags from then, so I do not really know a whole lot about it. I guess I have to agree with you, I like the earlier stuff!

March 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

You’d freak at the stuff from the Seventies, too! I have a couple of mags from 74 and 75 and I don’t like the style. Then to top it off, I was a young woman then and was subjected (!) to this style up front and personal, LOL!

March 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I am totally laughing my head off at “Early Orange Crate”! There is a wee tacky part of me who does like some of the late 60s decor, but only in small doses … those rooms tend to be a bit out of control!

4. Annie B. Reply

March 2, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I’ll have to admit that I really like the bold colors of the late ’60’s and early ’70’s, but in moderation. I prefer them with the lighter scale modernist or Danish Mod furniture and decor. “Early Orange Crate” was the next big thing, though. One of the hottest trends I can remember from the early ’70’s was this specific shade of lime green trimmed in bright white with white wicker furniture everywhere……..and LOTS of plants!

March 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Andrea & Annie,

When Bob and I got married, we hadn’t bought furniture ahead of time, so we borrowed from friends and family. Bob was the one who said our furniture was Early Orange Crate, LOL!

I forgot to mention that I still have my bentwood rocker from way back when. Anyone else have one?

6. Amy Reply

March 3, 2010 at 12:35 am

oooh I like the green one!

7. Harp Lounge Reply

March 3, 2010 at 2:53 am

I msut say I do like some of the late 60s and 70s looks that involve shades of deep turquoise and blue-greens contrasted with a lot of white. Mission brown and burnt orange and burnt yellow are usually terrible. I think there are some Jocasta Innes decorating books which feature 70s rooms that actually look cool rather than “What the hell is that”.

8. Annie B. Reply

March 3, 2010 at 10:21 am

Sable! Bob was right on the money with his description of the “Just Married Eclectic” look; been there myself, probably at the same time you were.

“Orange Crate” reminded me of our first furniture which was prototype This End Up. The company began production in the Triange area of NC using some really fine woods for their first pieces. We still have our early ’70’s seven foot long This End Up sofa made of solid maple with a flame maple back. The earth-toned upholstery still looks good. Amazing! The “crate furniture” created quite a stir back then.

I resisted the temptation to purchase a Bentwood rocker back in their heyday (I must’ve been the only one on the planet with no Bentwood of any kind back then.)

Thanks for another great post, Ruth!

March 3, 2010 at 7:44 pm

LOL@ Just Married Eclectic, Annie!

OMG, I forgot about This End Up!

March 3, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Sable – “Early Orange Crate” is such an apt description, then!

My mom had a bentwood rocker for years and years and years – however, I think she finally got rid of it the last time she moved a couple of years ago. And didn’t tell me about it beforehand, or I would have taken it off of her hands!

11. Miss Sews-it-all Reply

March 5, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Wow…! I don’t think I could live with those intense colors. I do like some of the simpler modern designs from the 60’s.