Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement-Copper

April 30, 2010

MCM Home Improvement-Copper

By Sablemable aka Jan

I love the look of copper and I love the look of brass, but that’s for another story.

I’ve always expected copper accents to be used exclusively in Early American decor, but after finding these examples of how to decorate a modern kitchen with copper, I was convinced otherwise.

My mother and father received a set of Revere Ware as a wedding gift in 1951.  I have most of the set, however, over the years the copper bottoms have turned black.  Then this morning  I used Wright’s Copper Cleaner along with an old SOS pad on the pans and now the bottoms shine!  It didn’t take much elbow grease to remove it, either.  So there’s one copper accent that I can use in my MCM kitchen.

The second accent is my kitchen wall clock that surprisingly looks exactly like the one pictured here (bottom center).

Oh, my God, look at that blender!  The copper mugs ain’t nothing to sneeze at (I’ll take ’em!).  The search is on for a vintage copper base blender!

I’m not getting lightheaded over the copper finish on the electric percolator and the juice extractor; I AM lightheaded!

No explanation needed here, just heavy sighs of joy!

(Dead faint)

Would I kill for the copper accents in this kitchen?  You betcha!

And, I’d do another life sentence for those in this kitchen!

So far, I have the Revere Ware and clock, a set of canisters and a stove-top macchinetta in gleaming copper finish.  I tried finding MCM copper cabinets knobs and hinges, but couldn’t, so I settled happily for a shiny brass set of both.

What’s your favorite metal accent, readers, and tell us of your treasures in that metal?

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement-Copper

1. michelle in ia Reply

April 30, 2010 at 8:23 am

I feel your love! I have a huge copper kitchen collection which I have edited for display – most of it is in the basement: Copper toaster, bread box, mugs, percolator, tea service, clocks and on and on it goes. Never knew anyone who shared the affinity for this beautiful metal. It is so warm and homey and not just for early American kitchens.

April 30, 2010 at 9:44 am

Michelle! I’d love to raid your basement, LOL! Yes, copper does bring warmth to a home and we lovers of modern can now rejoice in using it.

Thanks for stopping by!

3. Annie B. Reply

April 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

Saaaaableeeeeeee!!

I Cu are just as charmed my this warm and wonderful metal as I am. I’ve been a fan of copper for years. It’s so versatile: from Early
    American to mod art sculpture…

My personal favorite 50’s use of copper is all the glorious jewelry of the period made by companies such as Matisse, Renoir, and Rebajes. Of course, I love my bits and pieces of copper kitchenware, too!

4. Brini Reply

April 30, 2010 at 10:40 am

We featured copper in the Colonial episode of my show for Style – the centerpiece of the segment was a copper deep fat fryer.

April 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Yep, I’m hooked on copper, LOL! The copper jewelry sounds smashing!

Brini! A copper deep fat fryer! OMG! Hand me the smelling salts!

April 30, 2010 at 11:40 am

Love all those pics! Esp. the last two of the kitchens! Those starburst pulls are FAB!

7. Annie B. Reply

April 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I’m seriously in love with the last kitchen photo. Can anyone ID the pattern of the dishes? It looks like Royal’s “Blue Heaven” crossed with Vernon’s “Tickled Pink”.

April 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Annie B. – The pattern is Oasis by Franciscan, check out their Starburst pattern too – really retro!

9. Annie B. Reply

May 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Bingo!!!!!!! Sara!! Thanks!! I think I was having a Friday brain $@&*.