Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Mid-Century Modern Home Improvement

April 23, 2010

Mid-Century Modern Home Improvement

By Sablemable aka Jan

A Mrs. Home Improvement I’m not, so I try and find the easiest and best looking way to add that professional touch to my MCM home.

Enter The Smart Tiles, a 3-D, gel-like material that resembles ceramic tile and installs effortlessly with a self-adhesive back.  The tiles are cushion-y and glossy and from far away or up close, one could not tell them from the Real McCoy.

The Smart Tiles have some wonderful collections that reflect the Mid-Century Modern Era and I chose those that I thought you would enjoy.

THE MOSAIK COLLECTION

Blue

Maya

Mocha

Brownie

THE MOTIF COLLECTION

Alegria

Loft

Oceano

The Smart Tiles also has a Chromatic Collection of solid colors such as Turquoise, Ivory and Chocolate, as well as subway tiles and more motifs.  Please visit their website at www.thesmarttiles.com to view the entire styles.

I have personally inspected the tiles and would use them in my kitchen.  Readers, have you used The Smart Tiles and if so, tell us your experiences.

6 Responses to Mid-Century Modern Home Improvement

April 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

Wow! Great find, Jan. Love the “loft” tile. If only I had somewhere to put it…

2. Annie B. Reply

April 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

These are really great! Thanks, Jan. I’m sincerely digging “Mocha” in the Mosaik collection.

April 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I also like the Loft and Mocha, but, dummy me, I had decided to use yellow as my accent color in the kitchen. Duh! So I think I’m going to go with the Brownie on the soffits. I want to strip the old finish from the cabs and leave them natural; I already have brass “dish” shaped knobs and brass hinges. Would have gone with a copper finish, but I couldn’t find them in a retro style.

4. Annie B. Reply

April 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Sable!!!!! You’ve just got to let us have a look at this! It sounds fabulous!!

5. Barbara Reply

April 23, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Time and effort are what is saved here, because those tiles are as expensive as regular ceramic! I was hoping they’d be cheaper as this would be the answer to my prayers until remodel money comes along. Oh well, just another thing to save towards!!

April 24, 2010 at 12:25 am

You will have to show us all pics of your finished Smart Tile project Jan!