Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Sara Grants You Three Wishes!

April 22, 2010

Sara Grants You Three Wishes!

By Sara In AZ

____________________________________________________________

He He, I wish! Hmmmmm, what would I wish for – how about a cool 50s time capsule house (just like yours Ruth). Anyway, Three Wishes is one of my very favorite movies (besides It’s A Wonderful Life) because it is a total kitschfest! It stars Patrick Swayze and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and it came out in 1995, BUT the movie is set in 1955. I don’t know if anyone out there has seen this movie, but if you have not I totally recommend it. It has a really cute story line, with a happy ending – but Oh My, the eye candy. There are the MCM houses, the Heywood Wakefield, the bullet planters, the wallpaper, the clothes – I could go on and on.

Here is a plot summary from Wikipedia:

When Jane Holman (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) is driving with her two sons, Tom and Gunny, she accidentally runs into a drifter, named Jack McCloud (Patrick Swayze), who breaks his leg. Feeling sorry for him, Jane invites Jack and his dog Betty Jane to stay at her home until his leg has healed. After having some difficulties to adapt to this new lifestyle, Jack soon finds himself loved by the family and they all want him to stay. When he starts teaching baseball to Tom, who misses his father who’s missing in the Korean War, the two of them develop a strong bond. Meanwhile Gunny believes that there’s more to Jack and Betty Jane than meets the eye, and he’s determined to find out.

Here ia a link to the movie trailer from 1995: http://www.reelzchannel.com/trailer-clips/27489/three-wishes-trailer

Sorry I could not get it to upload directly to this site. But if you click on the link it is right there – just hit play!

Here is a pic from the movie ( I could not find that many), check out the waaaay atomic wallpaper in the background!

And I got this image from the trailer so you all could check out the AWESOME houses and cars in this movie. I know it is kinda hard to see the houses, so you will just have to go check out the movie for yourself. Trust me, you will love it!

So, has anyone else out there seen this movie before?

—Sara

7 Responses to Sara Grants You Three Wishes!

1. Miss Marwood Reply

April 22, 2010 at 6:46 am

Oooh, sounds great! I never even heard of it, despite of my devotion to Mr Swayze 🙂 Will definitly watch it soon! Thanks!

2. frankieswife Reply

April 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Haven’t seen it yet…but it’s goin in my NetFlix queue immediately!

3. Annie B. Reply

April 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Wow! Thanks, Sara. I’m not familiar with the movie, but will check it out, most certainly. I recently ran across a really cool mid mod movie, “Sunday in New York” with Jane Fonda and Rod Taylor, which I’d never seen before. The 1963 sets are spectacular; sputnik chandeliers and Danish Modern furniture…luscious!

April 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Miss Marwood and frankieswife – I know you will love this movie – enjoy!

Annie B. – Thanks for the heads up on “Sunday in New York”, I will definitely check it out – it sounds great.

April 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God, any movie with the late Patrick Swayze is worth watching, LOL!

6. Gae Buckley Reply

September 19, 2016 at 11:33 am

I came across your 2010 post about the movie Three Wishes as I was searching online for pictures of the sets. I was the Art Director on the movie and never took very good pictures to record what we built.
    All of those exterior houses were built in Agua Dulce, CA and the interior of the family’s house was built on a stage in Los Angeles.
    I was so happy to find someone who truly loved the movie. I realize this is many years since you posted, but thank you.

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 20, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thanks so much for leaving a comment Gae, so neat to hear from the Art Director of one of my very favorite movies!

I have to say that you really nailed it on this movie…..all of the exterior house shots, the interior house sets, the clothes, everything…..it was amazing that you managed to pull such a thorough 50s era look together! I literally wanted to crawl through the screen and just move right into that fabulous house!

It’s funny that you left a comment as I had been thinking about Three Wishes just the other day, hard to believe that it has been out for over 20 years now. Three Wishes remains one of my most favorite movies to this day….and I should be thanking you because you are a big part of the reason why I love it so much! So – Thank You!